Sunday, June 24, 2012


Cozy Fall Projects for Your Home

After a busy week working on the fall issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine, I'm pleased to announce that it's now off to press! And that's music to this editor's ears—and hopefully to yours, too, because it means another dose of quilting inspiration will soon be heading to newsstands and mailboxes! This issue's cover quilt was designed by Dawn Heese, who also happens to be one of the authors I work with as a quilt book editor. You'll notice something different about this issue—a new design. We refreshed the cover design to capture more of the beautiful photography and made the interior pages scrappier to reflect our love of all things prim. The publisher also chose new fonts for the project titles and intros.


While the design has changed, you can count on one thing to stay the same—our dedication to providing you with the best of primitive projects. We try to provide something for everyone, and this issue is no exception with projects ranging from bed-size and wallhanging-size quilts to a hooked rug and wool sewing accessories. It's packed with fall projects, big and small, by Nancy Conn, Country Threads, Becky Delsman (whose framed wool appliqué is featured below), Kim Diehl, Jenifer Gaston, Kay Harmon, Dawn Heese, Rhonda McCray, Phyllis Meiring, Jo Ann Mullaly, Melanie Pinney, Tonya Robey, Peg Springstead, Martha Walker, and Joyce Weeks of Geoff's Mom Pattern Co. For a sneak peek of this fabulous issue, check out the following project photos provided by the publisher.


We have a "spooktacular" array of projects for Halloween fans, including this charming black cat quilt inspired by one of the many furry friends that call Country Threads in Garner, Iowa, home.


I've visited this fun quilt shop many a time and a highlight is always seeing the charming menagerie of animals. I took the following three photos during a visit to the shop back in 2006. The little goats were delightful.



I also loved seeing the fanciful array of chickens. This one had quite a flamboyant head dressing!


Who can resist the cozy charm of a Log Cabin quilt? Jeni Gaston puts a fall twist on this classic design with an autumnal color palette and sunflower appliqué. She used a clever piecing technique to construct the blocks.


Those of you who love to hook will want to check out this adorable pillow—one of two hooked projects in this issue. 


I hope this preview has piqued your interest in our fall issue. If you don't yet subscribe, consider signing up. A one-year subscription is only $27.99! That's a great value for a 100-page magazine with 15 projects per issue. Ads are minimal, giving you more creative content to enjoy.

10 comments:

  1. You already know how much I LOVE this magazine - thanks for the peek - can't wait until it arrives in my mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like another great issue! Cannot wait to get mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the magazine but especially love the great pumpkin. Fall is my favorite season because of the colors. I'm glad this is off your plate and now maybe you can relax a bit. Hugs, Mary A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the preview of the fall issue, I definitely see some projects I would like to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently received the current issue and I literally read it cover to cover, such beautiful projects, I have earmarked a few I want to get back to! This next one is something to look forward to as well!! It's a beautiful put together publication!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one busy editor. The magazine looks great and seems to be very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Kimber, I am going to have to track this one down. I love anything to do with white pumpkins, so I have to make that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    Catching up on my blog reading and always head to yours first. The new format for the mag looks great. Thanks for the preview of some of the projects. You always have the best posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to get a preview! Wonderful projects! Can't wait to see what all you and the prim sisters have done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! I can't wait to get my fall edition! I am definitely going to make some of the patterns for my fall displays!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!