Monday, June 18, 2012


Waste Not, Want Not

With all my work deadlines, I haven't had much time for stitching but I am getting my daily dose of "quilting" vicariously through editing the latest issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine. We are putting the final touches on the fall issue this week! So while I work on that, I thought I'd share a favorite quilt from the past. It's not one of my own quilts but one I photographed while visiting the Des Moines Quilt Guild Show back in 2006. The quilt is called "Waste Not, Want Not" and was designed by Julie Larsen, who owned Prairie Star Quilts in Elk Horn, Iowa. I purchased a kit for the quilt and started making the blocks that year. I love the charming medley of appliqué and patchwork motifs that Julie incorporated into the quilt. The scrappy nature of the blocks is a nod to frugal quilters of the past, who made the most of their scrapboxes.


In April, we lost a one-of-a-kind quilt shop in Prairie Star Quilts when it closed its doors. Seeing the quilt again brings back fond memories of Julie's shop, which had some of the best kits I've ever seen. I can remember visiting the shop and buying a few kits in just one stop. Julie always did a wonderful job on the kit packaging, pairing the fabrics with a fun accent like a prim jar or box. For her first doll quilt series, she packaged all the kits in the cutest doll-size pillowcases. How I miss that shop already! I feel very fortunate to have had it so nearby for as long as I did. 

7 comments:

  1. Oh, it's always sad to hear of a quilt shop closing, esp. a nice one like that with so much creativity in her patterns and packaging. Love the quilt's brown background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so understand what you are saying. In March we lost one of the best quilt shops in our area Patchwork Pig in Lakeland. They closed their doors, but I am so missing the amazing selection of fabrics they carried. In Florida too many shops have gone all modern so it is getting increasingly harder to find beautiful traditional fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really good quilt shop is a treasure, and I'm so sorry you lost one so close to you! I agree with Happy Cottage Quilter about some shops beginning to lean heavily towards modern fabrics - Not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that quilt. I'm sad about them closing - it was a shop that was on my to-do list, but I didn't ever get the chance to visit. I always heard wonderful things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous quilt! Hope you get to make it. Keep working on the prim magazine, we are all waiting for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimber, can I pin your photos on Pinterest? I noticed your "do not publish" etc. so thought I better ask. I think I may have already pinned one, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kimber what happened to your version? It is cute and it would be lovely hanging in your house I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!