Thursday, June 14, 2012


Happiness is Hollyhocks

Seeing my garden abloom with hollyhocks makes for a very happy day here at Ashton House. Last weekend, I noticed the first of the blooms on my hollyhocks and snapped this photo. This particular one is very special to me because it comes from my grandma, who has grown them for years on the family farm where she still lives. She grows a rainbow of hollyhocks in hues such as yellow, purple, pale pink, and magenta. Every fall, she gives me seeds from them. It is wonderful to share your garden's bounty with others, so that heirloom varieties can continue to thrive. 


Another favorite hollyhock in the Ashton House gardens is this bewitching black beauty that I started growing three years ago. It adds a bit of intrigue to one of the flower borders. 


With today's hectic editing workload, there isn't much time to write, but I wanted to drop in to say "hello" and share some garden pretties with you!

11 comments:

  1. I love hollyhocks too! Yours are gorgeous. A sure sign that summer is here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! These don't grow in our climate, so seeing yours is a special treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hollyhocks are a favorite of mine as well but mine always get spots on them and now those stupid ol' Japanese beatles are all over the blooms eating them! They make me so mad!
    I love your black beauty ones. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These hollyhocks are gorgeous! I've never had luck with them here, but I keep trying. Someday I'll find the right spot that they will thrive in! Thanks for sharing! Those black ones look amazing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the old fashioned hollyhocks! The black one is wonderful. I will have to try one next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What pretty hollyhocks..I really like the black one, quite striking :)
    Magie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful hollyhocks and how great that you grew them from seeds from your Grandma - that just makes it extra-special!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hollyhocks too. I have some by my outhouse/garden shed of course! My Dad said outhouses always had hollyhocks next to them back when outhouses were a necessity. Your black one is a beauty. I had one for a couple of years and it died out. It must not reseed itself?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried to grow hollyhocks once without success. Yours are so wonderful, and from your grandmother! I totally agree about the business of sharing seeds. So many varieties are unable to reproduce these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the black ones are spectacular! My yard is too shady to grow these wonderful flowers - lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love hollyhocks too!!! (and all it's cousins, hibiscus,etc...) How wonderful that you have some of the plants from your Grandmother's garden!! I wish I lived near my Mom, so I could snitch seeds and starts from her garden. She is a marvelous gardener... knows more about plants than I could ever hope to know in a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!