Tuesday, May 15, 2012

MUST-STOP QUILT SHOPS

I'm sure all you die-hard Quilt Sampler fans have already gotten your Spring/Summer 2012 copies, but for those of you haven't, I just wanted to mention a few quick things about it. First of all, don't you love the cover quilt? Of course, being a pink-and-brown quilt fan, I might be a bit partial!


I enjoyed writing two profiles for this issue. One was on a shop I actually visited five years ago while in the Madison, Wisconsin area. Located in a former furniture shop built in 1905, Patches & Petals is a quilter's general store and more in Belleville, Wisconsin. The spacious shop windows that long ago boasted the latest furniture now beckon quilters inside with beautiful quilts and fabrics. 


My second profile was on Fig Leaf Quilting—a quilt shop within a furniture store in Fort Collins, Colorado. Owners Laura and Rob Shotwell combined their businesses under one roof six years ago. Just think—you can look for furniture and glean decorating ideas while shopping for fabric! Talk about a unique shopping experience!


I also must mention Nancy Conn, a talented designer I've worked with as an editor with Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine. Her charming shop, The Hen House, in Charlotte, Michigan, was also featured in this Quilt Sampler issue. Warm and homey, the shop speaks to Nancy's love of all things primitive. One of the things I learned about Nancy while working with her was that she collects antique hand-crank sewing machines. Her shop hosts the Saturday Crankers, a group of fellow hand-crank enthusiasts. 


Congrats to all these shops! Be sure to watch for the Fall/Winter edition later this year. I already turned in my profiles for that issue and can't wait to tell you about them. They'll be formally announced at International Spring Quilt Market this week! This show is open to the trade only.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing such a nice article about the Fig Leaf, in Fort Collins, Co. I'm a bit partial. I have been an employee for 18 years. It's a great shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my MOST fav magazine!!! I only wish I could pop over from New Zealand to visit all these lovely shops!
    Luckily I work in an amazing one myself!
    Beautiful blog, glad I found you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just bought mine today - can't wait to look through it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife Marilyn designed and made the cover quilt. Thanks for the kind words. We are in KC for market and look forward to new inspirations!
    Jerry
    Cotton & Chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those quilts are gorgeous! I thought of you when I wrote my last post titled "We're going to an Auction". Are you familiar with barn quilts? Come see what I'm talking about. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!