Saturday, May 12, 2012

MEMORY LANE

For the past couple weeks, I've been working on a special Mother's Day gift for my mom that includes some cherished childhood photos. As we celebrate moms everywhere Sunday, I thought it might be fun to share a few of them here, so prepare yourself for a few steps down memory lane. This is one of my favorite photos of my mom, which I post every Mother's Day. She looks so small next to those peony bushes!


Isn't it amazing how fast time passes as you get older? As I was sifting through childhood photos for my project, I was reminded of how fast time truly flies. It seems like just yesterday I was in grade school, cartwheeling across the lawn with my friends or ice skating on the nearby lake with my sister. After we came in from the cold, Mom would always make us homemade donut holes coated in granulated sugar to warm our tummies. Before my sister and I came along, Mom was an elementary schoolteacher but she quit her job to stay at home and take care of us. It was such a gift to have her home with us in our formative years. A gifted seamstress, Mom enjoyed making most all of our clothes from the time we were toddlers until well into 4th grade. She even designed and made my prom dress because I wanted to be sure no one else had the same dress! Now isn't that silly?! I have to chuckle when I am reminded of how Mom used to make us matching outfits! This was one of our many such ensembles.


And here's another set of matching outfits. Mom still has all these outfits in boxes. She's very sentimental and can't throw things like that away.


She made us these witch capes for our Beggar's Night costumes one year.


Mom loved having little girls and she always enjoyed dressing us up for church. We always got a new dress for Easter every year. Here we are modeling our new dresses for Easter service.


After school, mom would often let us get together with friends at the local park playground. That's my sister and me with some of our friends in the following photo. I met some of the best friends I've ever had in elementary school. As I look at these photos, I realize how fortunate we were to grow up when we did. It's not easy being a kid these days! I am grateful to my mom for all her love and support during our childhood years. Without it, I might still be that shy little girl who was afraid to speak to anyone! Now I won't shut up!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for letting me take the trip down memory lane with you. Wonderful pictures and Happy Mother's Day to you and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun memories.....I'm betting your Mom is going to love seeing these pics! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice tribute. I enjoyed reading and thank you for sharing. Have a Happy Mothers Day.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tribute to your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimber, I loved taking a trip down memory lane with you-how sweet. Your mom will love her gift. Thanks for sharing. Love and hugs, Mary A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What cute pics...especially of your Mom...the chubby cheeks! Thanks for sharing :)
    Smiles, DianeM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how cute! Time does pass by so quickly when your an adult. My mom used to always tell me that when I was little but didn't believe how that could be. Now we know! Thanks for sharing your sweet memories with us. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet post! You just set me to thinking about some of the outfits my own mother sewed for my sister and me when we were little. Fun memories!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!