Tuesday, May 29, 2012

KANSAS CITY TRIP FINAL POST

After three posts on my Kansas City Quilt Market trip, you've reached the final installment! If there are typos in this post, you will have to forgive this editor! I just got home from an eye appt. where I had my eyes dilated, so I cannot see the best. Not the best time to write a post, I know, but I was in the mood since I cannot do much else right now! With Quilt Market, I didn't have much of a chance to go to my other usual haunts but I did stop by two of them on my way into town. The first was Urban Arts + Crafts—a treasure trove of fabric, yarn, beads, scrapbooking paper, ribbons, and more. They even have a resident kitty but unfortunately I didn't get a good shot of Anni.




The shop carries lots of modern fabrics by designers such as Heather Bailey, Joel Dewberry, and Anna Maria Horner as well as modern-style patterns, notions, buttons, and ribbons.


The back of the shop is a yarn lover's delight with tons of pretties. I'm not a knitter, so I just admired the scenery!


In my continuing quest to stay organized, I am a sucker for pretty notebooks, and this shop had plenty of them. They also sold cute bags in matching motfis.


I was delighted by their selection of papers—unusual ones that I hadn't seen before at my local Archiver's store. I found the most adorable cat paper and another Japanese-style one with cherry blossoms.


They had some really fun new rubber stamps, including this cute line by Ruby Violet. A couple packages came home with me, though I just realized they aren't the ones pictured here. 


Afterward, it was on to another one of my favorite local stops, Nell Hill—the popular home decorating emporium of Mary Carol Garrity (The store is named after her grandmother and carries a mix of new pieces and antiques). The first thing I ever bought from her flagship shop was a small antique multi-drawer chest in which I store buttons. I love the way this shop's walls are colored in her own line of paint colors. It's a great way to get a feel for how they might look in your home before you buy. That's exactly what I did with my kitchen, which I ended up painting the same shade of blue as this room in the shop. It's called "Front Porch" because the ceilings on the porches of many old homes were traditionally painted a sky blue. This is also the color that we painted our porch ceiling.


This vivid green color leading to the second floor is also popular with customers seeking to bring the spirit of the outdoors inside. I think it would be a great shade for a sunroom or conservatory. I'm not lucky enough to have one of those but perhaps someday...


Melon and citrine seemed to be the colors du jour. Every corner of the shop seemed to have some sort of accent in those colors—or shades of them. 


Here they are again (only the green is slightly darker) on this charming wall shelf.


I love the green and melon combo in this inviting vignette.


Doesn't this cozy corner look inviting? I was tempted to sit down and relax.


For years, I loved going to Curious Sofa when I was in KC. It was one of my favorite shops and then it closed its storefront a couple years ago. As I was walking through a local antique mall, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the owner had opened a new booth there. 


In the same antique mall, I came upon these cute vintage pie birds. Does anyone else just love these things? My mother-in-law got me hooked on them about 13 years ago. These didn't go home with me but they were fun to see.


Last but not least, I must share a couple fun owl finds from my trip. This wooly owl is perched on an old rusty bedspring. I found the blue-and-tan wool fat quarter in the same antiques shop as the owl.


At another shop, I found these cute owl ear buds and a trio of owl pouches. The larger one is designed for an iPad or electronic reader—neither of which I have or really need at this point in my life, though my techie husband keeps trying to get me to buy an iPad. I'm sure I can find another use for the larger pouch. 


I hope you have enjoyed my 4-part Kansas City series. If you missed the other editions, be sure to check out my earlier three posts.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I think I could spend all day in Nell Hill! What a beautiful shop, with lovely things, and such an inspiration for decorating! I've been trying to talk my hubby into painting our floors black.....and I think the pics in her shop clinched it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, you found lots of good stuff! Love the owl pin cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the fantastic virtual tour of Quilt Market and shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your Kansas City trip! It looks like you had a great time. Cute owl stuff! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this delightful tour. I just love Nell Hill designs and Wow! Urban Arts and Crafts is a wonderful place to visit. Thank you for sharing.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!