Tuesday, April 3, 2012

REDISCOVERING UFOs

I was sorting through some unfinished objects (UFOs) in my sewing room this morning and came upon this pincushion doll kit by Gail Wilson, which I'd purchased at a quilt show back in 2008. Yes, I'm admitting it—this project has been in the works for four years! The booth owner let me take this picture of their shop sample. Isn't she sweet?


I keep most of my UFOs in these bandboxes on top of my sewing armoire. It's funny—most of the furnishings in my sewing room came from magazine prop sales at Meredith Corp. (home of Better Homes and Gardens), where I got my first magazine job out of college. The magazines would sell off items that appeared in their publications and you could buy most of them for a song. That's how I came to own the sewing armoire, which is home to fat quarters and pre-cuts; the turquoise shelf, which hosts new and vintage pincushions; and the fruity-theme lampshade. I wonder what other goodies I will find in those boxes! It's like Christmas morning opening them up.


Because my sewing room is located in the smallest room in the house, I try to take advantage of every square inch. That's why I decided to go vertical with the turquoise shelf. Since it's just for display and I don't need to access its contents on a regular basis, it made sense to give it a loftier position. The room still needs new curtains as the rather plain white sheers it had when we bought the house are showing their wear.

8 comments:

  1. How cute that the little doll pincushion has her sewing pocket tied around her waist. Hope you finish yours soon and share pictures with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pin cushion doll is divine. What a fun discovery. Richard from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up...your sewing room in the smallest room in your big house? You must take a stand and re-claim space in a bigger room! ~Sheri :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Gail Wilson pincushion doll is just gorgeous, how far along did you get in making yours? I am ashamed to say that I have one of her doll kits - Feedsack doll from memory - and still she sits unmade - oh dear!!!! I have to say whenever I go into secondhand furniture stores these days I always think if terms of sewing room furniture, how handy, how much room, any display shelving etc, your pieces are delightful and I love the colours they are painted too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect pincushion to keep your dolls company! I think most of us have tons of UFOs we want to finish. I am envious of your painted furniture pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least your UFOs are stashed inside decorative containers. You have collected beautiful items for your sewing room. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you've got the prettiest sewing room around! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll buy your unfinished pincushion doll. kathysewsforyou@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!