Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A QUILT FOR HILLARY

This morning I found the perfect place to display this little doll quilt that I just finished. This is the second one that I've made. Five years ago, I designed the quilt for my local historical museum. I had been searching for a good project for this poison green print, which was one of the first 19th-century reproduction fabrics I ever bought. My little quilt is draped over a chair in my pink and green dining room. In front of it sits this handmade pink teddy bear named Hillary, whose rosy hue complements the quilt. The blocks are 3 inches wide.


I must have been in a sewing mood today because as I was sifting through my tool drawer, I came across my old Tri-Recs ruler and used it to make a few blocks in my favorite color combo of pink and brown. That was all the time I had to sew today as I have several work deadlines just ahead of me.


Tomorrow I'm hoping to get back into the sewing room to find a project for these brand new Jo Morton fabrics that recently arrived at Ashton House. They are from her latest line, Alexandria. I was so tickled to find them for only $8.50 a yard. I shouldn't say "only" in these hard economic times; it's just that it's hard to find fabric for that price anymore!


I also want to start making blocks for this lovely project called "Isabel's Quilt" that creatively combines Jacob's Ladder blocks and wool appliqué.


It's featured in this beautiful new book—Elegant Quilts, Country Charm: Applique Designs in Cotton and Wool. All the projects incorporate felted wool—perfect for a wool lover like me. If only there were more hours in a day! Alas, work must come first! Three articles are due this week!

7 comments:

  1. Darling doll quilt. Love your pink and brown blocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Hillary and her new little quilt. Both are really sweet. You were busy at your machine today - have to say that pink and brown is always a good combo. Elegant Quilts, County Cham looks like an inteesting book. Keep us posted on your progress with the new project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great projects and I love the little quilt in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh! Another kindred spirit! Anne of Green Gables is a favorite movie of mine!! Pretty quilts. I hope you'll come visit me on my blog. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for squeezing little sewing in despite the workload! Does Hilary get to keep the quilt? She looks quite comfy sitting there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post - I'm in love with all of your projects. Your doll quilt is wonderful and that is my all-time favorite repro green. I have bought that same piece numerous times. And your tri-recs blocks are great - can't ever go wrong with pink and brown. AND...I really, really love Isabel's quilt. Wow! That is going to be beautiful. Now I have another book and quilt on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hillary's quilt is precious! The new Jo fabrics have a romantic feel. Can't wait to see what you cook up with them. AHHH!...Isabel's quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!