Friday, April 27, 2012

GOODBYE, CAR

The time has come that I've been dreading—looking for a new car! After 12 years and nearly 220,000 miles, my 2000 Toyota Camry is ready for retirement. Apparently, I'm not the only one keeping my car longer than usual. A recent NBC nightly news edition revealed that with the poor economy, people are keeping their cars longer than ever and that the average age of vehicles on U.S. roads has increased to 10.8 years. I'll be sad to see my trusty Camry go as it's been so reliable. After all, how many cars can you get more than 200,000 miles out of these days? Mine is still running well at 218,676 miles but with the high miles, we don't feel we can take it on long road trips anymore.


Because the Camry has treated us so well, I think we'll go with another one even though I don't like the new models as much as my old one. My hubby has been pounding the pavement looking for a new well-priced one. He's gone to three different dealerships and gotten three different prices, trying to get close to invoice price. I've been surprised by the difference between that and the sticker price. If you know of any good Toyota dealerships in Iowa or Nebraska, please drop me a line. Here's hoping for another reliable car and 200,000 miles!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a lot of miles! Yes, we still have my 1999 Nissan Quest too. Only a paltry 110,000 miles, but it's an oldie. I'd love a new car, but it's not in the cards right now. Good luck finding a new car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that I too have a Carmy, we are on our 4th one. I know what you mean about the newer model....but having driven ours for almost a year I love it! My new one is cherry red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh ... I hate car shopping. A couple of years ago my husband and I both needed different cars, and I refused to go. I waited 'til he had done all of the work - and then I went to look. I'm not a car gal - I could care less how it looks, it's only to get me from point A to point B. I'm not looking to win any style awards. We loved dealing with the Saturn dealer because they put the prices right on the cars, no debate or haggling involved. So sorry that Saturn went out of business. (and every other Saturn owner that I've met has said the same thing - so they definitely had quite a loyal following) Of the 4 cars that I've had in my life, three were bought used. And I have learned my lesson -- I will NEVER buy a new car again. I don't want to be the one to take the financial hit by just driving off of the lot. Like I said - I'm not into all of the car hype -- so as long as it is dependable, I could care less. I feel sorry that you have to go through the car buying process. It's such a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimber, I too hate car shopping. I have a 2002 Impala and love it, not quite 100,000 miles but my son thinks I need a new car. I told him he needs to keep working on it as I don't want car payment and it runs and drives great now. I don't like looking or paying for them so until mine dies or becomes undependable, I will be driving mine. Good luck. Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I'm in the same predicament too. My 2000 Jeep is looking at 151,000 any day now. I really love this car and I'm afraid it's going to give up on me before I give up on it. Sigh. I really hate car shopping! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!