Saturday, March 10, 2012

A THRIFTY KIND OF DAY

My church holds a few rummage sales throughout the year, and yesterday was the first one. So I stopped by and found a few goodies to bring home. I spent all of $8 on these finds. I am obsessed with owls, so I couldn't pass up this $1 vintage owl linen calendar—with my birth year of all things! It must have been kismet! The colors are kind of bright but I thought the owls were so cute. For privacy purposes, I have hidden the year under the blue card.


Then I happened upon a small bag of vintage buttons. They fit my budget of no more than 50 cents per card—in fact, they were even better than that! The whole bag was $2 and had several original cards of vintage baby pearl buttons! These usually run $2-$5 per card, so I was thrilled to find such a good bargain. I'm only keeping the baby pearls and the little girl-face buttons, so the others are free for the taking. UPDATE: THE BUTTONS HAVE BEEN SPOKEN FOR!


Our older church ladies always bring in some interesting finds. I met the lady who was selling these two medium-size jars of vintage buttons for $2 each. How could I pass those up?


And lastly, this little $1 book on antique corsets caught my eye. Thought it might come in handy for my dollmaking. I enjoy studying period clothing, especially that of the 18th and 19th centuries.


What fun it was sifting through other's people's trash! After the rummage sale, I decided to visit my friend Mary's enchanting shop in a nearby town. We met in china painting class several years ago and have been good friends since then. I'll share some photos of her wonderful shop in my next post.

8 comments:

  1. You certainly did have a good day shopping! Love those owls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some fun finds! Nice! Isn't it amazing what some people have held on to for so many years.....I would love to go through some of those attics.....I can just imagine what simple treasures there might be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not much better than a button bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fun day - you just never know what goodies you might find at a rummage sale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you always find the neatest things. Wish our church rummage sale had such great vintage finds. Looking forward to the tour of Mary's place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, a corset book! I would love to read that little treasure! N.xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always on the lookout for green buttons (my favorite) as they're hard to find. You bought a jarful! Just in time for St. Patty's Day too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fab finds, and it's so fulfilling, isn't it, when you get them all for a song! LOVE the little corset book. I found a corset design on a rubber stamp that I loved years ago, so I enlarged it and embroidered it on a crazy quilt square!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!