Saturday, March 24, 2012

A SUPER SATURDAY

Saturday is usually my favorite day of the week but this one has been extra fun, thanks to my dear hubby, who took me on a road trip. We rose bright and early this morning to see an African violet show, where we oohed and ahhed over the beautiful blooms of the show plants. WARNING: This is a long-winded post but please stick with it as there's an interesting sewing-related item at the end.


The show was held in a greenhouse, so we had a chance to browse some of the other beautiful blooming plants, such as these lovely lady-slipper orchids—one of my favorite houseplants...


...and these showy tulips with intriguing leaves.


I couldn't help but notice these quirky brightly-colored garden books by Amy Stewart. The one on the left is entitled Wicked Bugs: The Louse That Conquered Napolean's Army & Other Diabolical Insects and the right one is Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities. I always find it interesting to learn little-known facts like the ones in these books!


After the show, it was on to a fabric store where I found this cheery quilted fabric in my favorite color. Its reverse side is equally cute.


On our way home, we stopped by some antiques shops. I thought this antique cupboard would look nice in my bathroom (remember, I was talking about remodeling it in a previous post), but unfortunately, the price wasn't in my budget. 


In another shop, I spotted a fun grouping of vintage mini sad irons. Didn't need any since I already have a few but how sweet they are. 


I am a sucker for vintage frames! For some reason, they (and lamps) are my biggest weaknesses. While I was tempted to buy this beautiful frame, it wasn't in my price range. I'm not really drawn to what's inside the frame as much as the frame itself.


I've been looking for a pink feather tree and found one today! Best yet, it was marked down from $44 to $18! This is actually a very good price for these trees. It is decorated with little green nests filled with eggs.


This vintage tub planted with pansies just outside the garden shop made me smile.


Then it was on to one of my favorite quilt shops, Prairie Star Quilts. In a previous post, I mentioned that the owner, Julie, is retiring. The shop has been holding a retirement sale for the past several weeks. Everything in the shop (with some exceptions) is marked down 40 percent, so be sure to check it out before the sale wraps up next month. There are still many beautiful 1800s reproduction prints to pick from but the shelves are getting bare fast! I am really going to miss Julie, her dedicated staff, and the incredibly inspiring shop she created. I'm still crossing my fingers a buyer can be found to carry on the Prairie Star tradition. 


While there, I couldn't help but to indulge in some fabric. Most of these are 1800s repros (from left: Windham Colonies Chrome, Jo Morton, Nancy Gere Old Glory, Riley Blake Daisy Cottage, Moda Rural Jardin, and Windham True Madder).


My favorite of the bunch is the one in the middle. I've been buying little bits of it over the past year but this time, I bought the rest of the bolt! 


I love the eagle medallion in it.


In addition to the inventory, Julie is also selling many of her store fixtures, including some antiques and vintage sewing machines. Here are some of the beauties that were for sale.


My most special purchase of the day was this vintage So-e-ze sewing machine. It will be a nice reminder of Julie and her shop. Can you tell I'm sort of a sentimentalist at heart? I owe so much to this shop for sparking my interest in quilting. The first time I stepped inside the doors 13 years ago, I thought I was in heaven! I wanted to buy every kit in sight. Back then, I didn't yet have a fabric stash, so I was so grateful for the kits. I knew I could never go wrong with the kits as Julie and her staff have such a wonderful eye for color and pattern.


I love the floral decals on this charming machine. My photos don't do them justice. There's a hint of my favorite shade of pink among the graceful leaves. So now I'm one step closer to my goal in my continuing quest to find a vintage sewing machine for every room in my home. This one will go in one of my spare bedrooms. It will share the space with my vintage Featherweight, which has resided there the past 8 years. I anyone knows any history about this machine, please contact me. I think it might actually be a New Home machine. 


As you can see from these photos, I had a fun-filled day. Usually, I feel guilty for indulging in such days but this time, I relished it to the full extent as I've had a rough few weeks. I hope you are all enjoying your weekend as well.

14 comments:

  1. What an amazing day you had! Wonderful! And the sewing machine is so beautiful! I love the decals on it. Beautiful fabrics, too. So sorry her shop is closing.....that is so sad. It sounds like it was a lovely shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day and great treasures that you found!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a good day, thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post and a great day out!!!
    You have got yourself one fabulous new old sewing machine, what a treasure, will you be able to sew with it or will it be a display piece? I notice there was a nice selection of Flat Sad Irons too, a lovely array of styles. I recently bought one at local old wares store and just love it as I have always wanted one! It now has its own little quilt to sit on!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you have been having a fun time - but I think you are cheating with the machines putting two together in a room means it will take longer to get one in every room Kimber!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun trip, wish you could send that orchid over to me! I hope your rough time has been just a lot of work and not your health. Congratulations on finding such a great little sewing machine, have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Old Glory print is one of my favorites too. I have quilt hanging in the living room that I made using it. The remainder of the fabric has been safely hoarded away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful day...so sorry to hear of another shop closing. The decals on your new machine are gorgeous...glad it is going to a good home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kimber, I love reading your blog entries. This one was especially fun to read. I looks like you had a great day. I love African violets as well. I adore all your great purchases. I hope you have a better week. Hugs Mary A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun to share your lovely day! That sewing machine is a real treasure! I laughed when I read about the time before you had a stash. Hard to imagine! Thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My father loved African Violets and he really could raise them. Not me, I long for a road trip. Richard from my Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How I wish I could have joined you on these excursions! That violet up top is incredible, and of course the antiquing and sewing finds are delightful as well. Your new sewing machine is absolutely gorgeous! Love that you are slowly and thoughtfully building a collection. Here's to sentimentalists!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun day you had! I wish I could have been a mouse in your pocket. I'm another sentimentalist too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for taking us along on the trip with you Kimber! I don't know what I liked best, the fabric or the flowers. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!