Tuesday, March 6, 2012

EASY CUTTING FOR BALTIMORE ALBUM BLOCKS

In a previous post, I mentioned I was trying to take a little more time to relax these days, and that means playing with my fabric! I've been searching for the perfect project for this fat quarter bundle of Judie Rothermel's Quaker Quilts collection that I bought a few years ago. I love these classic red and green reproduction fabrics.


Yesterday, I got out my Slice Fabrique cutter to experiment with one of their new design cards, "Baltimore Beauties". I've always admired Baltimore Album quilts but don't really have the time to make them the traditional way. So I was thrilled when this card came out. You can make all of these Baltimore Album-style motifs with the cutter. It was the perfect project for my fat quarter bundle!


Many of you paper crafters already know that Slice cuts paper, but did you also know it cuts fabric, too? The Slice Fabrique was specially made to cut fabric. You must use it with a special glass mat, also by Slice. The handy screen allows you to scroll through the design options. Once you select one, you can customize the size.


You do have to back all of your fabric with a fusible web, so this is a great tool if you're a raw-edge appliqué fan like me. If you're a needleturn appliquér, it probably isn't for you. You also have to spray the glass mat with a temporary spray adhesive to secure the fabric in place as the machine cuts it. I use a brayer to secure it but you don't have to.


Once the cutting is complete, you just peel off the fabric and voila! You have an appliqué shape. You're limited in the number of shapes you can cut at one time but I do like that you can create many different blocks with just the one design card. I also had to get used to the fact that there is some fabric waste. Being the thrifty quilter that I am, I keep my scraps to use on other raw-edge appliqué projects.


I like to use this handy little Slice spatula to help loosen the fabric from the sticky mat underneath.


Here are all the pieces for my block, ready to appliqué to the background block underneath. I love the blanket stitch, so I'll probably machine-appliqué the block with it! In this photo, I simply laid the pieces on top of the background block, so I haven't secured them down yet. I'll make any necessary adjustments to them before doing that last step. Yes, I slanted this photo on purpose. Thought it made it look a little more interesting!


If you have a fondness for heart motifs, you might enjoy this new design card by Linda Hohag of Brandywine Designs. It's appropriately called "A Work of Heart". 


You can make all these fun designs with her design card. 


I have several other Slice design cards, including ones by Shari Butler and Fig Tree Quilts, in my stash. More on them later! For more info on this terrific tool or to find a store that carries it, go here.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! When I read the title of your post I thought you were crazy...surely there is no such thing as an Easy Baltimore Album! But, wow...this little machine would really help out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is an easy way to get a fabulous look. Those reds and greens are so yummy...going to see if I can still find some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that is really cool! Never heard of this device before. I might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your choice of Fabrics! What a fun tool to own - I know you will have a lot of enjoyable time making this new quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this tool, either! I'm going to go google it right now! Thanks for the info on it. I've not done much applique, but this might entice me to get busy on a project. Especially if I can produce a Baltimore Album in lickety-split time! Hmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fabric collection!
    I've never seen the Slice Fabrique cutter before either!
    Thank you for the great review.
    I love Baltimore style quilts too.

    Have fun creating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kimber, this is absolutely gorgeous. I love the outcome of appliqué and have done small projects but not sure I am ready for something this detailed. Hugs, Mary A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought this card and I find it wonderful!! I've done some things and I'd also would take A Work of heart but I do not find it. Sorry for my English . Ciao from Italy

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!