Thursday, March 8, 2012

SWEET DREAMS

I've collected vintage doll beds for the past 10 years. Most of the time I find them when I least expect them, and sometimes, they find me! This little green bed is one such example.


When my husband and I lived in Des Moines, we were friends with a nice couple who lived just behind us. The woman was an avid antiques collector. Knowing I loved doll beds, she offered to give me the headboard and baseboard for this bed. Yes, it started with just those pieces! My husband crafted a wooden piece to connect the two. Also, the boards were cream colored but I thought they would look nice in a jadeite green. It's the perfect place for my antique china doll, Cassandra, to get her beauty rest. She came from one of my husband's coworkers, who wanted to find homes for all of her late mother's old dolls. These are the clothes she came in. I've often thought it would be nice to make a new dress for her in something more fitting such as turn-of-the-20th-century repro fabrics!


The doll quilt pictured on the bed was part of a series of doll quilts patterned by Prairie Star Quilts owner and designer Julie Larsen, who sold kits for all of them. I made this quilt with the kit. Sadly, Julie is retiring and the shop is for sale. We all hope someone will step forward so we can continue to enjoy going there. If you know of anyone interested in owning an established and successful Iowa quilt shop, contact Julie at 712/764-7012.

I'm sure there must be other vintage doll bed lovers out there. Do any of you have one of these treasures? If so, I'd love to hear about them.

10 comments:

  1. I have three beds aside to make quilts for...one has a bear waiting for his quilt, another has a fairy doll, and the last I've been told is just the right size for her American Girl Doll...They may be my projects for this year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute bed and Cassandra certainly looks a lady of leisure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely doll's bed, I love the colour of it! The patchwork quilt is so pretty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't collect little beds but yours is adorable. The little quilt and pillow are precious, its amazing that you sewed something that small!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I collect antique doll beds and cradles, too. Love to display quilts and vintage linens on them. Your green bed is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to find more vintage doll beds - alas, I only have one! I keep dropping hints to my Dear Husband that I would love to have him make some repro doll beds for me. Vintage or repro - it would be fun to make quilts for them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How could Cassandra not love her vintage bed! Wish I could find a few to collect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet dolly bed!! Love the quilt you made for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice bed and i love your garden!
    Greeting from holland carina

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you collect doll beds (sounds like such a niche collection), and yes, the jadeite green color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!