Sunday, February 5, 2012

SNOWFLAKES AND STONES

We've had an unseasonably warm winter here in central Iowa with barely any snow. Well, Mother Nature remembered us over the weekend with our first major snowstorm of the season. While I'm not a big fan of Midwestern winters, I couldn't help but think how pretty the snow was as it fell outside Ashton House. The symphony of falling snowflakes looked like something out of a Currier and Ives print. I never thought I would smile at the sight of a foot of snow but I found myself doing just that.


I had even an bigger reason to smile this weekend. On Friday night, I finally passed one of my three kidney stones! I was so elated I snapped a photo before sending it over to my doctor to analyze. After seeing that it was 1/4" wide, it became all too apparent why it was taking so long to pass!


The passing of the stone was reason to celebrate, so I headed out Saturday afternoon to do a little thrifting. I was more than ready to get out as I'd been pent up in the house dealing with the stone for most of the past couple weeks. I love exploring the booths in antique malls for that special something. I happened upon a booth filled with boxes and boxes of vintage trim—perfect for my dolls.


I also spotted these vintage dressforms in a corner. A vintage dressform has long been on my wish list but finding one in my budget and in good enough condition has proven quite a challenge! They're just so popular right now and ones in good condition are not plentiful. I don't need one in perfect shape (in fact, I prefer them to look well-loved but not too well-loved!).


This book about Queen Victoria also caught my eye but it wasn't in the best of condition, so I decided to pass.


I've enjoyed studying more about Queen Victoria over the past several years. I initially started researching her for a magazine article assignment but it grew into a hobby. If you're looking for a good movie about her, I recommend "The Young Victoria" (below) with Emily Blunt. I don't watch many movies but this one is in my dvd library.


So these were the finds I took home from my thrifting adventure. I found a trio of pretty pink trims from the many boxes in the one booth, plus a vintage Valentine postcard and greeting card. Vintage postcards are one of my favorite collectibles and I try to pay no more than a $1 for each unless they really tug at my heart. I also found a vintage tablecloth in pink and yellow but haven't taken a photo yet.


I hope you are enjoying your weekend, which is quickly disappearing! Oh, how fast they go! 

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Just looking at that stone gives me a pain! I hope you are now feeling much better!

    On a happier note, thank you for the lovely vision of snow falling on Ashton House. I don't mind looking at snow, but I'm happy for you to be the one living with it! My personal mantra is "never live north of I-10"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get one of the dressforms? I've been looking for a vintage one as well, but they are rarely seen in this area.....I think I need to make a trip down to Boston maybe. I have my mother's wedding dress and my aunt's maid of honor dress, and they are so lovely, I've been wanting to display them in the bedrooms. I'm not giving up on finding a dressform!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes... that's a big stone you passed. I'm thankful that you're feeling better and I think you chose a very good way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the photo of your house in the snow. It's beautiful. So glad to hear you finally got rid of one of those stones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Hopefully you will feel so much better now that certain things have passed...... Beautiful picture of your home! Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimber,
    Thank goodness the one stone is gone!
    Love your new treasures. Nothing like a successful trip to the antique store. We'll all be waiting to see what you do with your new treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The snow does look beautiful - we still don't have any! Glad you finally passed that kidney stone, and that you celebrated it's passing! Love your new treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a ethereal site! Your home is so inviting. So glad that stone wasn't in my ureters! No wonder you celebrated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy you passed your stone. I have actually never seen one before so this was some impressive information :)

    I love vintage dress forms too and have a Pinterest board of them. One day I will have one in my home too. I just love them.

    Your home is just gorgeous! And the snow falling around it is perfect.

    Blessings and good health,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kimber, the snow falling on your home is so pretty. What a lovely picture. I love the quiet of snowfall, not something we have very often around Dallas! Our warm winter is continuing, and trees are beginning to bud.
    so sorry about the stones, oh my. Glad you got out to enjoy some of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful capture of the snow & your home~ breathtaking beauty~
    ouch on the kidney stone~
    get better~
    smiles
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the picture of your home! I'm a huge fan of those big snowflakes. I like to call it "snowglobe snow." It just makes me smile. I'm glad you passed that stone too and felt like getting out. I'm sure it's a huge relief!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kimber, so glad that one stone has gone. Hope it gives you some relief now. Love all the vintage hunting spoils. I saw the film of Queen Victoria recently and it was very enjoyable. Perhaps you should make your snowy photo into your christmas cards, it does look so inviting.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!