Sunday, February 26, 2012

MUSIC TO MY EARS

One of my resolutions this year is to relax more. I'm not good about doing that since like everyone, I usually have a bazillion things on my plate at any given time. One of the things that calms me the most is to play my piano, yet I haven't played for several months now. This is my childhood piano—the one that my sister and I learned to play on when I was 8. It has a poignant story behind it. It formerly belonged to a young girl who died in a car accident. My mom bought it from her mother when she was ready to let it go.


When my husband and I moved into our first house 15 years ago, my mom and dad brought the piano to come live with me. It has a special place in my heart and brings back fond memories of taking lessons with my sister. I collect vintage toy pianos, and the small one you see on top of the piano is one such example by Schoenhut. The framed picture above the piano is a painting on wood I found in a consignment store several years ago. We already had the old frame, and the painting fit it perfectly. It all makes for a very serene spot for piano playing, which I am doing today! Thank you, Merry, for encouraging me to take time to enjoy these simple pleasures in my life.

10 comments:

  1. Good for you! There was ALWAYS a piano in our home as a child and even now. However, these days, I play "vicariously" through DD Kate. Her Chopin is soooo much better than mine ever was. ;-) And she indulges me often with my requests from Debussy to Les Mis to Rachmaninoff.

    "Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I just can not walk pass my piano without setting down to play. than months go by and I don't even see it in the corner. I wish I did play more, maybe I would be better at it. Richard from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a piano too in the house! My eldest plays and I was learning for a little while but never got very far! Keep up your skills Kimber!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slowing down and taking time for yourself will pay you dividends in the long run! I am happy you have a piano, and that you play. I too recently took up playing again after years of just plunking around. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! You are so talented - what other talents have you been keeping from us?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Playing the piano is such a wonderful way to relax or let off steam. So glad this piano found such a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wanted to learn how to play the piano - but I'm not sure I would've ever been able to coordinate my two hands doing different things. My good friend growing up had a player piano and we spent many hours pumping away and singing along with the songs :)
    Smiles, DianeM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss playing the piano. We had one, then my husband broke the leg on it, and it did take up too much space, so we donated it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kimber,
    You are a woman with many talents! Can't tell you how much I envy anyone with musical ability! You should try to make time to play, although your schedule must keep you hopping! Love that you collect toy pianos. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been visiting your blog for awhile and it is so charming. You are very talented and I love the primitive picture above your piano. Thank you for sharing.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!