Friday, January 13, 2012

QUILTED BLESSINGS

After visiting the mosaic quilt exhibit in Lincoln, Nebraska, last week, we stopped by a few area antiques shops. One of them had quite a few vintage sewing notions and it was there that I spotted this cute little shelf of vintage sewing books that I had to have. The shelf appears to be original to the set since it seems to fit the books perfectly. To give you some idea of this piece's dimensions, the books are about two inches tall.


The books are actually little match boxes that open to reveal their labeled contents! Isn't that the cutest thing?! All of these boxes still had their original contents and all are in excellent condition given their age. Since I collect vintage sewing notions, I thought this piece would make the perfect addition to my collection. I fell in love with the imagery on the boxes.


The shop owner didn't know what era they were from. If you know anything about these little guys, please drop me an email. I'd love to hear any insights you may have. While she had not seen anything like this before, my sewing friend Linda M. surmises that they were made in the 1940s when design elements such as cameos and silhouettes and softer color palettes were popular. She was pretty sure they were post WWII when sewing supplies such as elastic, thread, and buttons became available again and seamstresses were eager to return to their sewing rooms and machines (These are Linda's words. Isn't she well spoken?!). During the war years, Linda said that ladies couldn't readily obtain these supplies. Thank you so much for your insights, Linda!

 
After we visited a few antiques shops and of course, a couple quilt shops, we headed on to the Omaha area to visit my husband's parents. While we were there, I was greeted by yet another pleasant surprise. My mom-in-law surprised me by giving me three of her vintage quilts! She said that all of them were found at flea markets back when quilts could be purchased for a song. 


I actually have the matching partner to the Sunbonnet Sue quilt, which she gifted me early in my marriage. Now that I have this one, I'm thinking that I will display the duo on our Jenny Lind twin beds in the guest room.


My favorite quilt of the bunch is this cheerful pink fan quilt, which will remain in this room—my dining room, which is decorated in shades of bubblegum pink and spring green. 


And who can resist the timeless charm of the Churn Dash block? My mom-in-law told me this one was kept on my husband's bed when he was boy. At the time, they lived in an old farmhouse on their family's century farm, so quilts fit right into the decor.


Those of you who are regular readers of my blog may remember that my husband's mother has gifted me many a vintage quilt over the years. You can see one here and another here. These family quilts are very special to me and I try to display them throughout my house. It seems a shame to let them languish in a dark closet or cedar chest. Before I close, I have one last little thing to share with you. My in-laws also gave me this owl ornament because they know how much I love anything owl-related. They asked if he would make my blog, so here he is...

16 comments:

  1. Oh lucky you, getting so many quilts from your MIL! And some family ones too -- wonderful! I love that book shelf with the sewing notions -- never seen anything like that before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky woman! A fun find and lovely gifts! Thanks for sharing - even the owl who looks a bit shell shocked! Cute, nevertheless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sleep under quilts that my mother and grandmother made all the time. i have an old hand pieced wool one on the bed right now. Feels good as it is 18degrees here in Mo. today. Richard from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little books and shelf. That owl is so cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilts and the colors are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the shelf with the sewing notions books... how sweet. Lucky you to be gifted more vintage quilts. The churn dash quilt is my favorite of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beauties, they have gone to a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new quilts are so sweet, the Churn Dash is my favorite. Its must have been hard for your mother in law to let go of such special quilts, she is a real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Treasures, all of them! What a great trip! I especially love the churn dash, but the others are gorgeous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again, thanks for sharing! I would've snapped up the little sewing notions bookshelf, too. I've never seen anything like it - please let us know if you find out anything about its history. All your "new" quilts are wonderful - lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a thoughtful mother-in-law! Those family quilts are a treasure. The owl ornament is precious too. Mary A

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love the little sewing books/boxes, they are just adorable! Great find :)
    What lovely quilts, the fan quilt has such pretty fabrics and colours.
    What a cute little owl as well!
    Have a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great MIL you have! The quilts are wonderful...I've been drawn to churn dash quilts lately and this one is lovely. And...I think your owl is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course, I admire the new additions to your antique quilt collection, and the notion boxes are so unique, but...that little owl is the cutest! He makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your antique quilts. I actually have one similar to the Churn Dash one I found in an antique shop here locally. The price was right, so it came home with me :-) It sits on an antique chair that belonged to my hubbys grandmother. I love these old soft quilts.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!