Thursday, January 26, 2012

LITTLE ACTS OF KINDNESS

A series of pleasant surprises has brightened my world over the past month. I've been blessed with many work assignments that keep me busy in this time of economy uncertainty, my friend Merry gifted me a beautiful handmade scarf in a lovely shade of pink, my friend Betsy sent me a bundle of her breathtaking Hot for Chocolate 2 fabric, and my friend MJ gave me a bundle of cardstock for making my handmade cards. Another act of kindness happened just today. As many of you regular blog readers know, I go through A LOT of vintage spools making pincushions like these feathered friends.


Today I received the sweetest surprise package in the mail from my friend Amy. It was filled with these beautiful vintage spools. There were even some green ones and one in blue and orange! I have never found an orange spool. Can't wait to match it up with a feathered friend! I was so touched by Amy's kindness. I first met her through the Jo Morton Stitchers group. She is a very active group member and has organized many a fun project exchange for us.


I tend to be a realist, so these random acts of kindness really restore my faith in humanity. It's people like Amy who inspire me to pay it forward—a lesson I learned early on as a college student volunteering at the local animal rescue league. As a young 20-something, I became a volunteer tutor for the local adult literacy center. One of my students, a dear lady named Lupe, even came to my wedding.

And Amy's generous gift reminds me that it's again time to do my part for those in need. So I decided to donate to a local no-kill cat shelter, Furry Friends Refuge. They have several black kitties, who don't seem to find homes as quickly as the others. I used to make and donate little cuddle quilts to the cats at another shelter and hope to do so again. I'm sorry to wax philosophical here but Amy's gift really touched my heart. I hope if there's an opportunity for you to touch someone's life in a positive way, you'll take the time to do it. The good you do will come back to you!

14 comments:

  1. I love your birds -- and what wonderful random acts of kindness! You are so right to touch someone's life in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little birdies are so cute! I also enjoyed reading your article in Country Gardens, you did a great job planning and planting the little garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you look at life! oh, and I also am loving your flock of birds...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely little birds and a sweet friend to think of you. I know I have a green spool but orange, I wonder what came on that spool?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post.....and it's always good to hear of random acts of kindness! Paying it forward is so rewarding.....it's hard convincing people of that sometimes!

    Your little birds are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for having a kind heart and doing what you can to help the little kitties. My husband volunteers at a cat shelter and he has so many stories to tell.
    If we all shared more, helped more, think how much better this old world would be.
    Your little birds are so cute!! And you have a very sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post and reminding us that there are decent people out there and for us to do our bit to be one of them. (I love black kittys and have one of my own so I never understand that.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely acts of kindness by both of you! Love the aqua spools. I remember wooden thread spools and wonder if my Mom still has any of them? Might have to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you Kimber. I believe that what goes around comes around and if you are a kind person then you will get it back. If you are nasty then nasty is what you get back in return. Hope you are feeling a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to pay it forward too. You are so right, good things do come back to you too.

    I can't understand why folks wouldn't want a black cat. My best buddy when I was growing up was my black cat Ace. He had such a sweet personality. Thanks for the lovely memories you brought back to mind for me today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hellooooooooooooo my english is not very good but i like your blog very much! i´m from spain, north of Spain

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree I love to pay it forward to with RAK whenever I can.
    nothing better then surprises in the mail!

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  13. :) You forgot to tell everyone you had shown me a great kindness too! Can't wait to see what you create with them. . .

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!