Sunday, January 15, 2012

I'M A COVER GIRL

First, a big thank you to everyone who left comments on my previous post. I have encountered problems with Blogger trying to publish them, which is really a bummer since so many of you took the time to write. I'll keep working on it and I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually! And now on to this post! I'm so excited to tell you that the garden shed story that I produced and wrote last year made the cover of Country Gardens magazine! When I say produced, I just mean that I was hired to create, maintain, and help stage the garden for photography in addition to writing the article.


Last May, I planted the surrounding garden beds, some containers, and coordinated plans to add the inviting flagstone path to this enchanting outdoor retreat. Luckily, I was able to get all the flagstone pavers donated by a generous local supplier. As Mother Nature socked us with an unyielding heat spell for nearly two weeks during the summer, I started to wonder if there would be anything to shoot in August (those days found me watering the thirsty plants up to three times a day!). But thankfully, the hard work paid off and everything bloomed on cue for the mid-August shoot.

In other exciting news, the article I wrote for County French magazine also made the cover! It features the eclectic home of a Houston antiques dealer who masterfully melds centuries-old antiques with her home's new architecture. I had so much fun writing this article, and the homeowner was a gem to work with. She was even thoughtful enough to write me a thank you note telling me how much she loved the article. I really appreciated her taking the time to share that positive feedback as most people don't take the time to do something like that.


Thanks for giving me a moment to toot my own horn. I promise not to bore you with every single magazine article I write, but it isn't every day that one is lucky enough to write a cover story. So I thought I'd better relish the moment. It probably won't come again anytime soon!

27 comments:

  1. So glad you shared - congrats on both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making the cover of two magazines. The photo of the garden shed is beautiful. Even the shed is beautiful! I wish my garden looked like that. Your hard work has certainly paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your garden house issue and can only hope you can help me get printed in Victoria. Please, please. Richard from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be so neat to write articles for magazines and be featured and all. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - congratulations on the magazine covers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimber this is fabulous! I remember when we were editing History repeated and you were workingon your shed...how beautiful it looks!
    I've got to get the magazine.
    Congrats on both issues.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so exciting!! That's not tooting your own horn, it's just sharing the news!
    I want you to come and plant the garden beds at my house too, please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!!!! How excited to be the cover girl on these great magazines. I'll have to look for them at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great news!!! I can hardly wait to find the magazine and read it. I for one enjoy reading about all your magazine articles that you work so hard on, so please continue to share your work with us! Congratulations and a big hug from me to you........

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting! Congratulations! And that little garden oasis is adorable! I would spend every minutes out there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When country Home folded, I switched my subscription yo Country Gardens, so I've received this issue and your story is great! I also really loved the fairy garden built in a wheelbarrow which I plan to do in the spring.

    I say it again - what a FUN job you have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Toot away! I like when you talk about your articles and book editing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations... I love the garden shed you created. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! Would love to have the garden you designed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That;s fabulous! Congratulations on being a cover girl :)
    Sharon in Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on well deserved honors! Both your covers are just lovely. Way to go! We look forward to seeing even more covers in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that little garden "shed." Congrats on the articles!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sooooooooooo happy for you! Lovce the little garden shed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! Country Gardens is one of my favorites and the current issue will provided some inspiration...I also have a potting shed and am slowly working on its little surroundings each summer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats Kimber! You did a beautiful job :) I always love the cover of Country Gardens & I've enjoyed many of your articles.
    Smiles, DianeM
    basketblessed@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! I am boggled to hear you designed and grew the garden for the Country Gardens article! I would love to hear more about your magazine writing adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My hats off to you, Kimber, a wonderful job on the garden shed article. I have read my copy of Country Gardens, from front cover to back. And now I long for my own garden shed!! Also, a nice accomplishment for the County French article. I may have to go to the newstand to read it,,,keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Kimber!! Both of those deserve to be on the cover. Absolutely incredible and beautiful!!! Woo-Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My all time favorite garden magazine. Now I love my new Primitive Quilts book and their many projects.
    Thanks,
    Maggey

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!