Wednesday, January 18, 2012

BUNDLE OF JOY

First of all, I want to say a big thank you to those of you who left comments on my previous cover girl magazine post. I loved reading all 24 comments! Your messages mean the world to me. It's so great to know I have so many supportive blogging friends out there. Thank you!

Yesterday turned out to be a very good mail day here at Ashton House. After a long day of appointments and running errands, I returned to find three packages on my doorstep. The first was a surprise from quilt book author, quilt historian, and fabric designer extraordinaire Betsy Chutchian! As a quilt book editor, I had the pleasure of working with Betsy and her fellow 19th-Century Patchwork Divas co-founder, Carol Staehle, on their recent book, History Repeated, last year.


Betsy was so sweet to send me this surprise bundle of Hot for Chocolate II, the follow-up fabric collection to her previous highly successful Hot for Chocolate.


Doesn't it look yummy? I thought my green milkglass cake stand was a fitting stage for this beautiful fabric since it was such a delightful treat to receive! Thank you so much, Betsy!


Spanning dreamy pinks, rich reds, and dramatic browns in patterns of the past, this fabric collection is going to be so fun to play with! You all know that I am a pink and brown girl, so this collection couldn't be more me! And while I'm on the subject of Betsy, I wanted to mention how glad I am that she recently joined blogland. She's been thinking about starting a blog for sometime and it's great that she's finally taken the blogging plunge. Be sure to stop by here and welcome her to the wonderful world of blogging when you get a chance! 


Remember I mentioned three packages? The second package was the owl fabric I ordered last week. At just $5 a yard, the price was right, so I decided to buy the last few yards of the seller's yardage in this print. 


And the last package was from Amazon.com. The kind folks at KC Star Books had given all the editors an Amazon gift certificate for Christmas, so I decided to spend part of mine on this book that I had spotted at Barnes and Noble just before Christmas. Amazon had it for 41 percent off the cover price.


This section on meringues brings back memories of the ones that my grandmother used to make, though hers weren't quite this fancy or this pink.


And of course, there is a section on chocolate...


This weekend, I plan to dream up some ways to use my new fabric and new cookbook. I thought I might be able to find something special to bake for my mom and mom-in-law's birthday this February. They share the same birthday, Valentine's Day, and I usually host a special birthday luncheon in their honor.

15 comments:

  1. The book looks fabulous! I did a "look inside" on Amazon and every recipe I read used a half pound of butter!!! I love cookbooks that have lots of reading material like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy fabric! History Repeated is a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a lucky lady, to have 3 wonderful, great gifts waiting for you on your door step. That is so sweet of of to make a Birthday cake for your Mom and your Mother in law.
    Thar is special that both of them share the same B-DAY on Valentine's day!!

    Have fun dreaming up some ways to make something creative with your new fabrics you got!!
    Also enjoy baking your Mom's and MIL's B-day
    cake from your new cookbbook!
    Blessings,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful fabrics, and a lovely book! Those meringues look amazing! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to stop by and thank you for taking time to visit my blog. I see that you are an African Violet lover too. I have several and one of them was from a cutting from my Grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmmm I'm drooling over that Hot for Chocolate! Also the owls and that lovely looking book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fabric is gorgeous! Those meringues look so yummy. I think that I will have to check this book out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy the fabric and the new book. I am a book lover. I am often amazed at the prices on amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful packet of fabrics! What wonderfully creative project will you come up with for the birthday girls?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky, lucky you! Love all the new goodies! The green cake stand is also very nice.
    Have fun playing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing beats a good mail day! And yours looks fabulous. I really love the pink and brown bundle and can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog, style and beautiful decorating! It's a feast for the eyes and soul. Thank you!
    maddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maddy. What a lovely compliment. I tried to reply to you but you're listed as a non-reply blogger so your email address doesn't come through.

      Delete
  13. Where can I find that owl fabric?? I've looked everywhere! (aprylcorey(at)yahoo)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!