Monday, December 19, 2011

A VERY QUILTY SURPRISE

We had the first of our family holiday gatherings with my husband's parents on Saturday. After they took us out to dinner, we stopped by an antiques shop on the way home and were delighted to find a wall of vintage quilts. After we oohed and aahed over them for about 15 minutes, my parents-in-law told me to pick one of them and they'd get it for me! I was astounded! First of all, who knew that I would get such a special gift that day? And secondly, how could I choose from the many beautiful vintage quilts before me? There was a beautiful tangerine 1930s Drunkard's Path quilt and an indigo patchwork quilt among them. But of all the vintage quilts, it is the scrappy ones I love most. The many different bits of fabric seem to reflect all the love that must have gone into them. So I chose the scrappiest one. Thank you so much, mom and dad! I'll treasure this gift for years to come.


Last night, I noticed an email message from my friend Anne. She had sent me a scan of a reader show and tell clipping from Fons and Porters' Love of Quilting magazine. Three ladies had made my Oliver the Owl pincushion that had been featured in one of their previous issues! And what a kind friend to think to send this to me. Thank you, Anne!


Earlier this month, I made a few of my Holiday Hoots dressed in yuletide colors to sell on the prim marketplace selling site that I belong to. They have all flown the nest to their new homes. If you are interested in making your own Holiday Hoot, I sell patterns for them. I also occasionally sell finished owls. 

15 comments:

  1. That 30's quilt just spoke to your heart. Do you recognize the pattern? All you little Hoots have flown the coop-------but owls don't live in coops, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful present. Love the vintage quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great surprise! I always fall for the scrappy quilts too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimber it looks like there are some great fabrics in there! I love scrappy too!

    Your owl is a hoot and useful too! Love the pocket with scalloped feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilt - lucky you!
    The owls and your holiday hoot look fabulous (mine has pride of place in my sewing room).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, you are so blessed to have a mom that knows exactly what you love! Don't you love those sweet old scrappy pieces!
    I love the little owl you designed! I like his pocket especially!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous gift to receive.
    Love the owl - please point me in the direction of where you sell - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous quilt and such a thoughtful gift! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a very thoughtful and awesome gift to receive! I love your little owls too. That is a sweet friend to send you the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love quilts, love to sleep under them, summer and winter. Merry. Merry! Richard from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All I want for Christmas is to be featured in Victoria Magazine!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you have been blessed with wonderful parents in law! The scrap quilt is beautiful. Good choice. Love your owls!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely gift, and such thoughtful parents-in-law. And how fun to see your owl pattern interpreted and enjoyed by others. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't know what the other quilts looked like, but I'd probably pick this one, too! Lucky you!
    Those really are cute pin cushions - a good size, too. Love the scissor pocket.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!