Wednesday, December 7, 2011

TO PAINT OR NOT TO PAINT?

While thrifting with my friend Cinda several months ago, I found this vintage doll bed. I don't need another one but I couldn't just leave it there lonely on the shelf. The bed itself is in good shape but the paint has worn off in several spots. I am thinking about trying to sell it locally since I have another vintage doll bed very similar to it and I want to avoid the hassle of shipping it.


So I'm wondering—would you spiff it up with a fresh coat of paint before trying to sell it OR let the buyer decide what to do with it? I know some people love the timeworn look of chippy paint and might prefer to leave it the way it is. So please, fellow doll bed lovers, give me your opinions! Thank you!

10 comments:

  1. I love children's furniture and toys . If you think it is the original paint, I would leave it as is. if it is newer paint, I think it would be fine to re-do. And if you like it the way it is, leave it, but if you liked it better, re-done then re-do. If it is for resale. I would leave it. Does any of this make sense? Richard from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't paint it. Its so cute, won't it go somewhere in your home and maybe decorate it for the holidays? Or maybe use 30 fabrics, make a small quilt, wash it over and over until it looks old, hmmm and some eyelet trimming. I better get back to work....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would let the buyer decide. They might really like it just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd leave it, especially if it's original. I sold a doll crib at the weekend complete with vintage paint finish, the shabbiness just adds to the "look"!
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must agree with the other comments. There are a few old doll beds in my collection, and I prefer them in their original state. But, if I were you, I probably wouldn't part with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, that Shabby Chic/distressed look still seems to be all the rage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you really need one more "leave it as it is" vote?! It is very cute as is...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would definitely leave it as-is. It looks wonderful - I would have to keep it if I were you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Thanks so much for your visit to my blog today and your comment, too. Loved having you stop by.

    As for your dolly bed, well, if it were mine, I'd paint it white, white, white! Then, maybe I'd add some colorful swirls in green and paint little pink rose buds among them.

    But that's me. Ha! I love dolls and anything to do with them. Take care. Susan

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!