Thursday, December 22, 2011

A CHRISTMAS MEMORY

During the holiday season, I always revisit my copy of Truman Capote's touching short story, "A Christmas Memory", originally published in Mademoiselle magazine in 1956 (you can read it here). Those of you who are familiar with it know it's a bittersweet memoir of friendship between a young boy and a sixty-something woman who is his distant cousin. Inevitably, I end up reaching for a kleenex or two by the last paragraph! Truman Capote is one of my favorite authors. I can remember reading all the books I could find by him in the local library during one summer as a high school student. My favorite is his classic 1958 novella, Breakfast at Tiffany's, which also happens to be my favorite movie. For some reason whenever I'm down, I can watch that movie and feel better.


As I was thinking about Christmases past, I was suddenly reminded of the importance of recording those pleasant memories—or special memories that bless us anytime of the year. Someday they are all we will have of loved ones lost. So this year, I gave all my friends these Christmas memory books among other gifts.


As I look back at this Christmas, one of my fondest memories will be spending a lovely day with my friends, Belinda and Merry, for our annual gift exchange. Those of you regular blog readers are already familiar with their generous spirit and creative talents. This year was no exception, so I cannot resist sharing their heartwarming gifts with you. I will start in alphabetical order with Belinda! My heart skipped a beat when I unwrapped these amazing handmade gifts—a notebook cover and drawstring bag—both made up in my favorite owl fabric by Adornit. Belinda told me that she had chosen this fabric because she knew I would not want to cut into mine, and oh, how right she was. That owl fabric is still sitting on my fabric shelf. I can't seem to bring myself to cut into it. Belinda even personalized the cover with my name on her embroidery machine!


Isn't this drawstring bag adorable? I would have been so grateful to have just have received one of these gifts! Can you believe the drawstring bag was filled with more goodies? Among them were this cute notepad, a delightful owl-adorned pin, pink polkadot scissors, the sweetest mini wooden ruler, and a lovely Modern Priscilla box kit for making an interior box cushion.


But that wasn't the end of Belinda's surprises. She also gifted me the most incredible quilt book! I can hardly wait to dig into it.


It's packed with photos of gorgeous vintage quilts and profiles on well-known quilters such as Ruth Finley and Averil Colby.


Merry's gifts were equally astounding. They both put mine to shame (I won't bore you by showing you the gifts I gave them). She actually knitted these cozy socks for me! The only problem is I can't bring myself to wear them because I don't want to get them dirty! They're too pretty. She also made this fun flannel blanket, perfect for keeping warm on those cold winter nights or during a winter car ride.


Merry even crocheted its decorative edge! I was simply in awe of the workmanship that must have gone into this.


Merry's generosity knows no limits. Would you believe she also gifted me all these goodies, too? Vintage mini oil cans to add to my collection, a faux book storage case, a handy little bag made with Jo Morton laminate fabric, an owl rubber stamp, handmade magnets, and the loveliest sewing tray I have ever seen—complete with a handmade pincushion and embroidery scissors.


I gasped with delight when I saw this homemade pincushion/tape measure! Merry made it herself. The cute little bee pins are handmade, too. 


Being a gifted baker, Merry always surprises her friends with some edible delights. This year she gave Belinda and me a mouthwatering assortment of her homemade biscotti in flavors such as chocolate, snickerdoodle, almond chocolate, anise, and gingerbread. Yum! I love the smaller size, which will be the perfect treat with a cup of chai latte, egg nog, or tea. 


As our holiday gathering came to close, I felt so blessed to have good friends who actually chose to spend their time making me these heartfelt gifts. Just like the young boy named Buddy in "A Christmas Memory", I'll remember times spent with good friends like these for years to come.

10 comments:

  1. You are one lucky gal... all the gifts are wonderful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous gifts! Both the ones you received and the ones you sent. I just absolutely love those memory books. What a great idea to give to those who have lost a loved one.

    I also love Truman Capote books and surely love the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's too :)

    Wishing you a wonderful Christmas with family and friends,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimber, you have some great friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely gifts you received. And such a wonderful idea to jot down past Christmas memories for safe keeping. I love that!

    Hoping you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, Merry and Belinda out did themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful sweet presents! Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gifts look so lovely - what special memories you will have! And speaking of memories, thank you for reminding me of Truman Capote's wonderful story. I found my copy and will be snuggling under the covers reading it this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved seeing your wonderful gifts, but I was amazed to see that I'm not the only one who collects little oil cans! Maybe I'm not crazy after all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your gifts receive are blessings indeed but the friends 100 times more so!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy reading about and seeing the lovely gifts your very talented friends give you each Christmas. The Biscotti looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!