Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A THANKSGIVING TRADITION

In my family, I always host the annual Thanksgiving feast. And when I need a trusted recipe for the special day, I turn to my handy cookbook cupboard in my kitchen.


It is filled with cookbooks I've collected over the years. Many came from the prop sales we had at Meredith Corporation (publisher of Better Homes and Gardens magazine). Others are from garage sales or relatives.


This is one of my favorite cookbooks. I've had it for about 13 years now, and it has a delicious recipe for winter vegetable chowder, which I always make for the first course of my Thanksgiving dinner. So guess what I am doing tonight? Yes, I'm chopping up the vegetables and getting them ready for my soup. It even has a touch of sherry in it but I don't use as much as the recipe calls for since I'm a bit of a teetotaler. My husband and I have made it a tradition to make the soup the night before Thanksgiving so it's all ready when our guests arrive the following morning.


I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving, however you plan to spend it. I am thankful our Midwestern weather is behaving so that our loved ones can travel safely to our home. 

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful collection of books! I wonder what the gardening and quilt collection looks like? Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great Thanksgiving too, Kimber! Enjoy your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice tradition! I may have to make a soup tomorrow! Thanks for the idea!

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Eat lots of pie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanlsgiving to you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy this nice time in the States. Back here in the Netherlands we don't celebrate this special day. It's here just one ordenairy day in a working week. But we do have that turkey thing at Christmas time! Have a good time with famely and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. I am also hosting my family. Busy morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Love your cookbook cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you had a good day and good weather! Love the cookbook cabinet and the turkey in your other post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love your cookbook cupboard! Nice color, and I'm a sucker for beadboard! I like keeping my cookbooks in the kitchen, too. :-)

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!