Friday, November 25, 2011

THANKSGIVING AT ASHTON HOUSE

It's hard to believe another Thanksgiving has come and gone! I hope you all had a good one. In my family, I always host the holiday dinner, but guests always help out by bringing plenty of food. My mom makes the most delicious cranberry relish—a treat I've enjoyed since childhood. I serve it in my green milk glass turkey.


Mom grinds the cranberries and other fruit for the relish in her old-fashioned meat grinder and it comes out much lighter in color than this, but as the fruit marinates, it deepens to this rich red color.


Of course, the most anticipated dish was the turkey. Even the cats eagerly awaited a morsel of it. Here's Teddy on the kitchen floor, hoping that my husband, who carves it, will give him a bite!


My guests brought me the sweetest hostess gifts—a pretty speckled poinsettia, bags of vintage wooden spools, holiday ornaments, and more K-cups for my Keurig including a raspberry truffle coffee and milk chocolate hot chocolate!


They even brought our cats some goodies. Here is Poe with his bag of tuna treats. He doesn't look like he's starving, does he? Believe it or not, he is on diet food.


I gave all my guests these small glass turkey nest dishes, which I tied up with ribbon and set beside their place settings.


By day's end, I was a little tired and settled in to watch some television. Apparently, Teddy was, too. He curled up with me and took a nap. I caught this picture of him smiling as he slumbered.


There wasn't much time to sleep, though, as I was up bright and early this morning to do a little bargain shopping on Black Friday. I don't typically set foot near stores on Black Friday but I did brave the crowds today to get a printer.

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely day. Love the cute turkey gifts for your guests

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a wonderful day! I have to ask...do you like your Keurig? My husband has been thinking that we might need one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All over now, onward and forward toward Christmas. Richard from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the gifts you gave. Thank is really neat. Your mothers relish recipe sounds like my mothers. She only does cranberries and whole oranges. The red and orange color is wonderful and the fragrance is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving, Kimber! Sorry I forgot to tell you sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute kitty cat. He sure looks happy in that last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need to train my guest better, I especially could use some of those antique buttons you received awhile back! I love those beautiful little turkeys, are they new or did you find them at one of the antique stores you visited this summer? A whole month of Christmas to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day. By the look of your hostess gifts, your guests really know you well, don't they? Now what will you do with all those spools, I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are the glass nest dishes antiques or do you have a source for them? I would love to own some. Teddy and Poe look like the have feasted well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. Nice gifts and I love the glass turkies. Nice touch. Cheers, LJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice you receive and give gifts! My family are horrible houseguests and would never think of bringing a gift or food!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving! Love the photos of your kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kimber, everytime I read your blog I think of Martha Stewart. You always do everything so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!