Sunday, October 23, 2011

WOOLS, SPOOLS, AND BUTTONS, OH MY!

As many of you know, I enjoy designing and making wool pincushions in my spare time. So I'm always on the lookout for wool, spools, and buttons. My parents-in-law, who visited us this Saturday, surprised me with this wonderful assortment of them that they'd found while searching an antique mall. The wools will make charming owls, birds, and bunnies for my pincushion orders. I thought the box that my mom-in-law put the buttons in was so sweet.


One of my favorite kinds of buttons are the vintage pearl beauties. I love it when they have a weathered patina like many of these, which my parents-in-law found for me earlier this year while at the flea market. They brought back several jars and bags of them and we had fun sifting through them one afternoon. We even found several fancier carved ones! This is but a small sampling of them.


I've started working on a new project to put some of these enchanting buttons to good use and will share it with you once I am done. Speaking of buttons, I'd love to hear what your favorite kinds are. Whether they're new or vintage, I can't seem to resist buying just a few more of them! And it's such a gift when others think to give you these little treasures.

14 comments:

  1. Ooh lucky you Kimber! I love buttons and those pearl ones are favourites too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have special parents-in-law! What wonderful gifts they brought. I love buttons too. I have gallons of them (as in pickle jars)and I still can't resist them when I see them at an auction! My favorites are the green ones from the 30's and 40's, then the white ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the variety of the buttons. I remember going through my mom's button tins, and looking at all of them and admiring how wonderful each button was and dreaming up where it might have come from. New buttons don't seem to have that same draw as the old buttons do for me. I do so wish mom had saved me her old button tin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Questions questions questions
    first how does one know a pearl button? a picture of a perarl button and "others" side by side would help this lady.... as I like buttons too... and stick my hand out any time a family member is breaking up house.....

    then you got me thinking about Thomas and Sarah Ashton and google found this http://www.usgwarchives.org/ia/monona/census/1860/0401.gif are these your Ashtons?

    hope this comment takes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pearl ones too! I just put some in a empty honey quart jar and made it into a lamp. I need a few more to fill it completely up though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet of them to think of you when they are out antiquing. What a selection of buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my what wonderful treasures! Sweet in-laws you have. I love all kinds of old buttons but the pearl ones are my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how lucky are you.
    I have been searching for antique buttons now I want to use them to tie a quilt with. Just like you I loved the aged looking mother of pearl buttons...
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice is that when members of your family keep an eye out for good antiquing finds for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love buttons!
    Thanks for sharing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can hardly wait to see what you do, since I know you do suce wonderful things with spools and buttons! I love all vintage buttons but I especially like the colored plastic (or were they celluloid) covered ones from suits and coats, and of course the mother of peral...I guess I like them all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful gift! Looking forward to seeing what you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to admit a weakness for vintage buttons too. I like the little calico ones but you hardly ever see them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also just love old buttons too! vintage mainly, and pearl ones definitely. They do inspire one to make pretty things with them!! Have fun, look forward to seeing what you do with them!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!