Thursday, October 6, 2011

HOLIDAY CARDS FOR QUILTERS

I just received the new issue of American Patchwork & Quilting magazine—which includes a photo of a holiday card I made for them! It was a fun chance to work on one of my passions—papercrafting.


The Tips from Readers page features a creative idea from Jenedel Wilcox about how she incorporates photos of the quilts she makes into greeting cards. Following her lead, I printed the cover quilt image on my HP photo printer, then trimmed it into the shape of an ornament. To create the rest of the card, I used supplies that many quilters already have on hand, such as pinking shears, rick-rack, and ribbon.


The editor didn't want any fancy patterned papers or stamped images, so I stuck with the most basic of materials to show you how easy it is to make your own cards. Being a quilter, I couldn't resist adding a couple lines of feather stitching from my machine. Adding a festive greeting was easy with a "Happy Holidays" rub-on that you can buy at your local crafts or scrapbooking store. It's a quick and easy way to personalize your cards. For more information on this fun idea, check out the holiday issue of APQ!

10 comments:

  1. I saw this in this issue! This is such a fantastic issue and I'm working on one of the projects in there right now. Almost done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice card! I make all my own cards, and may try to replicate this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip Kimber! Like the idea of adding a quilt to the card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I've seen cross stitchers do similar with copies of their work. I may have to try this out myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! I have that issue, but haven't had a chance to open it yet. Soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that!! Didn't know it was you!! Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is beautiful :) I always enjoy seeing all your projects.
    Smiles, DianeM

    ReplyDelete
  8. That card is gorgeous! And you just whipped it out! Sheesh! I wish I could do that! But I can copy pretty darn well! lol Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kimber~ I've seen this issue! What a fun and clever idea~ Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!