Sunday, October 2, 2011

GOING GRAY

When it comes to colors, I've never been a big fan of gray. I've always thought it was a little bland. Well, lately I've noticed an interesting color trend in my purchases...gray! It appears this pink devotee may be a gray girl after all. I bought this adorable flannel to make a blanket for my friend Jess' new baby girl, Kennedy. I am backing it with Moda Snuggles plush fabric in a soft pink.


The other day, I found this fabric in a discount bin. At $3 a yard, it was too good to pass up. I was envisioning it made up in a fun bag or tote.


I found this Moda charm pack at Ye Olde Schoolhouse quilt shop in Cedarburg, Wisconsin last month. I love how this line mixes my favorite color (pink) with the subtlety of gray.


Being a cat lover, I could not resist this recent quilt pattern from Bunny Hill Designs. It looks so pretty made up in pinks and grays.


It seems I've even been gravitating toward gray when it comes to another one of my addictions—vintage buttons! I plan on using these two cards of gray buttons for my pincushion orders.


I've been collecting vintage hankies for more than 15 years but have never come across this one until recently. There's something about the pink leaves and gray flowers that made my heart sing.


But pink isn't the only color I like with gray. I love this damask pattern in aqua and gray. I found the remnant of gray velvet (underneath the sewing basket) at a fabric outlet and thought it would make wonderful pincushions paired with pink perle cotton and pink buttons. 


And who can resist a few good scraps of wool for a bargain? I spotted some nice gray pieces of wool among other wool scraps in this generous-sized bag.


It's funny how your perceptions of a particular color can change! I'll never see gray quite the same way again.

6 comments:

  1. I hear ya! I recently discovered I'm acquiring quite a collection of cheddars...me, a hater of orange! Go figure. Can we blame it on aging?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say it looks much prettier on fabric than it does in my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these are great choices. I'm not much for gray either, but they can make a good companion color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post is so color coordinated and fun! I haven't seen that Raining Cats and Dogs pattern. I'll have to substitute more cats in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had the same feelings about grey Kimber and orange! Love both now but maybe not orange for you???

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is funny how our tastes change - I used to love purple, now my favorite is red (and I'm not old enough to mix them and join the Red Hat ladies!).

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!