Friday, October 28, 2011

A GIFT FROM LIBERTY STAR

As a quilt book editor, I get to work with a talented array of quilt designers. I count myself lucky to work in the company of Renée Plains, who is one of the sweetest people I know! We've worked together on both of her books, A Bird in Hand and most recently, Stitches from the Schoolhouse. While she was busy preparing for Quilt Market in Houston this week, Renée took the time to surprise me with her newest Liberty Star patterns in the mail! How sweet is that?!


Here they are—A Day in the Country, Saddle Bag, Peeking in the Barn, and Iroquois Pinkeeps! Hot off the press! Look for them in your local quilt shop or purchase them on her website here. Or if you happen to be at Quilt Market right now, stop by her booth. My only dilemma is which to make first. A Day in the Country sparks fond memories of my husband's farm while the pinkeeps appeal to my pincushion-loving side. And who can resist a good bag pattern?!


Earlier this year, Renée sent me a generous package of her past patterns—oldies but goodies—some of which are hard to find. I love how so many of them are accompanied by a doll or sewing accessory. Thank you, Renée, for all the inspiration!


While I'm talking about Renee's designs, I must share with you a couple of her patterns I've made. This one is called "Thistle" and was made with a kit from Prairie Star Quilts. I loved the color scheme and knew I had to make it! I appliquéd it on my trusty Bernina.


I made this little autograph quilt by Renée several years ago and embroidered the names of my teddy bears in the block centers. The quilt hangs in one of my upstairs hallways.


At the time I made the quilt, I was practicing my free-motion quilting skills and decided to machine-quilt the setting blocks and triangles with a feathered wreath design. You might notice my teddies have both traditional and not-so-traditional names. Benno is a Hermann artisan bear who came with that name. Grimaldi is a teeny handcrafted mohair bear just under 2 inches tall. 


As editor of Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine, I recently had the opportunity to work with Renée on another fun project. For all you Renée fans, be sure to check out her oh-so-charming new pincushion project in our current winter issue. Here's a sneak peak for those of you who haven't yet received your copies.

12 comments:

  1. I just bought the Thistle pattern this summer. Love the applique and simplicity of it. Yours turned out very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, look at all those patterns. Have fun with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your work on Thistle.. beautiful quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am eagerly awaiting my winter issue! It's a beautifully presented magazine and the projects are quite varied!!! Renee's designs sure are beautiful! Is there anywhere you can buy them online?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is lovely and I enjoy your magazine, I didn't realize you were the editor, what a great magazine to be involved with!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun job you have! and the benefits aren't bad either...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you will not have to search for projects with all the patterns you just received!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you have a lot of future projects to choose from Kimber! Love your quilts - nice idea to have one just for teddies! The thistle quilt is a stunner and I;m hoping not as prickly as it's namesake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great new patterns! I love your Thistle quilt and the quilting on your Bear autograph quilt is lovely. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lucky girl you are...good luck with what pattern you'll pick! I already feel my self very lucky with having her book. Greetings from the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Kimber, you better get to stitching!! I love the Thistle colors, too, and the little Teddy Bear quilt tugs at my heart. Too precious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love seeing all these quilts and quilting patterns (lucky you!).I ventured into my craft room for the first time in months this past weekend, so the stitching bug is biting me again!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!