Monday, October 10, 2011

AN AUTUMN DAY AT THE FLEA MARKET

I've been doing a lot of antiquing/fleaing/thrifting lately. I guess I just want to take advantage of the fun before winter sets in here in the Midwest. Fall is such a wonderful time of year for strolling through a flea market. My husband and I enjoyed just such a stroll the other weekend while we were home visiting my parents. Many of the dealers had their booths decked out in fall finery.


I resisted the temptation to stock up on these cute gourds and jack-be-littles. Usually, I buy some for our porch but I've decided to forgo pumpkins this year.


Above the pumpkins and gourds was a rustic display of stitched pillows, nesting boxes, and antique bowls.


At 7:30 in the morning when we usually get to the flea market, there is still a chill in the air. This sweet little fellow found comfort under a warm blanket.


I love birdhouses and was really tempted by this charming abode. The problem is I already have far too many of them. In my garden, the birds have even taken over birdhouses that were designed to be more decorative than functional. One even poked out the front door and moved right in!


I also have a weakness for primitive hutches like this one. We hope to remodel one of our bathrooms next year and I'd love to incorporate an old hutch like this and fill it with soaps, towels, and other bath-time accoutrements. But do I need it? The bathroom is already furnished with two washstands, a quilt rack with vintage linens, a bench, a spool-legged accent table-turned-plant stand, and a small tuffet.


Loved these vintage cat salt and pepper shakers. I was going to go back and get them if I didn't find anything else I liked better but that wasn't a problem!


This sweet vintage green typewriter caught my eye. Thought about buying it just as a prop for my office but it was more than I wanted to spend.


What a fun day it was! I can't remember a flea market with more beautiful weather than this one. It was 67 degrees and sunny—just perfect for me. Stop back later to see some scenes from an antiquing trip I just returned from. I even found a humble old quilt!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time and you resisted a lot of temptation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot of treasures to be had by someone, but you are so disciplined! I looked for you at the quilt show in Des Moines, but didn't see you. Funny thing though when I asked my cousin if you had maybe stopped by her booth we were having dinner with the girls from another booth and they knew you and saw you! It was Connie and Mary from Connie's booth. It was sure a wonderful show with lots too see wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, dear Kimber, you need the hutch. I will drive to Iowa and help you put it in your house if need be. I truly think it looks like you. I know you are a pink color kind of gal, but I've seen the soft green colors in your work also. I like your idea about it going in your bathroom. Perhaps it could be inspiration to get started on a new remodel project.

    Valerie:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looked like a fun place to shop. Don't you just love fall time. Richard from my Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  5. rebuscando por la red te he encontrado y me encanta tu blog, muchos besos, el tuto del alfiletero es perfecto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just nice to root around old stuff isn't it? Lovely colour on the old typewriter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like so much fun! I just love this beautiful Fall weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course you need that old hutch in your bathroom. I was reading it, and thought, what if i have the radiator replaced, then i would have space for i nice thing like that... Better to stick to buying fabrics i "need"!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!