Tuesday, September 27, 2011

QUILT EXPO PART 3

Here's the third and final installment of my Quilt Expo posts, much later than I'd intended! I apologize for the delay but I've been swamped with work deadlines. So without further adieu, here are some highlights from our antiquing adventures throughout our Quilt Expo trip from early September. I didn't see many vintage quilts on this trip but here's one of the few. I liked its tangerine setting color.


I've always liked the Seven Sisters quilt pattern and often thought about making a quilt with that design.


Now that I'm collecting vintage tape measures, I seem to notice them more! This funny one pulls out from Santa's nose.


I really wanted to get these vintage curtain tie-backs but they weren't very practical as there wasn't much clearance for the actual material.


One of my other favorite collectibles is vintage cookery illustrations. I loved the colorful salad art on this page from a vintage cookbook.


Being an avid gardener, I was drawn to this garden-inspired vignette with a cheerful green backdrop.


I saw the next three photos at First Brick Antiques in Mt. Vernon, Iowa. Pink lustreware goes perfectly in my pink and green dining room yet I resisted the temptation to buy one of these lovely pieces.

This charming doll cradle would have been perfect for one of my doll quilts but it was out of my price range.

This little tramp art desk caught my eye with its detailed carving. It was only about 20 inches tall.


The shop owner makes the most scrumptious shortbread in several flavors including chocolate chip, lavender, and almond. I enjoyed this lovely cranberry orange flavor.


At Aunt Polly's Attic, a treasure trove of eye candy awaited. I was probably there for an hour exploring all the nooks and crannies.


This corner of sewing delights captivated with jars of buttons and button cards.


I even found a couple vintage sewing accessories to add to my collection—a thread holder in my favorite shade of pink and a squirrel pincushion. 


The shop also included a vintage kitchen collectibles area filled with fun finds from the 40s through the 60s.


On our way home from Madison, we stopped by Kalona and I popped into one of the quilt shops and found some fabrics from Kim Diehl's new line.


Of course, we had to check out some of the area antiques while we were there, too. I'm a sucker for pretty vintage dishes and china.


This vintage cupboard was artfully arranged with pretty pottery in pastel shades.


Loved these vintage button cards from the Washington Pearl Button Company, but I try to stick with my budget of no more than 50 cents per vintage button card—unless it's something I don't think I can live without!


Hope you enjoyed these snapshots of our antique shop stops. And don't forget—it's not too late to throw your name in the hat for your chance to win a copy of my latest quilt book editing project, Renée Plains' Stitches from the Schoolhouse. See the previous post for more details. The giveaway ends this Thursday.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful antique stores!! I could have spent all my allowance in those:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, what a great virtual shopping trip, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great display of goodness. I loved everything in every photo! I especially loved the garden display. That was quite lovely.

    Thank you for sharing such joy with us today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not quite sure what you bought Kimber except for the fabric? Was it just window shopping?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well worth the wait Kimber. Love the vintage tie backs. So pretty. Also like the unusual colour of the first quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful stores to spend the day, lots of nice antiques.
    I tend to see things and then wonder if I can make them myself;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your things you showed are so much fun! I love taking "trips" with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful shopping trip, I feel like I was there with you. Thank you for taking me along. Beauty for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!