Sunday, September 11, 2011

QUILT EXPO PART 1

Last year I was gifted a stay in a wonderful Cedarburg, Wisconsin, bed-and-breakfast by Ye Olde Schoolhouse quilt shop owner Jeanie Rudich. So I thought it would be fun to coincide a trip out that way with the Quilt Expo in Madison. We just returned from our trip and I wanted to share some photos of the show with you. This exquisite masterpiece entitled "Vintage Button Bouquet" by Linda Roy took Best of Show honors.


It was truly a sight to behold with its fine hand quilting and hand ruched flowers.


This quilt called "Blooms for Baltimore" by Ruth Durig also caught my eye. Ruth's quilt designs were inspired by master quilter Diane Gaudynski, and she used Hari Walner's method of trapunto.


This crazy quilt called "Crazy with a Twist" by Mary Chalmers was absolutely spellbinding! The quilt took Mary nine months to make and is made mostly of wool or wool blend scraps. 


It was hand embroidered with No. 8 perle cotton.


I forgot to take notes on this quilted beauty...


In addition to the marvelous display of quilts, there were 150 vendor booths to peruse.


With half yards of fabric selling for just $2.99, you can see why this booth was bustling...


I found these half yard treasures and yardage of another print I've been looking for.


Several vendors were offering fabric at an excellent price. I found this fat quarter bundle of 1800s repro fabrics at 40 percent off and a lovely piece of fabric at just $7 per yard.


Pink and green is a favorite color combo of mine. Speaking of pink, one of the booths was selling pink Rockport socks for making sock monkeys! I didn't even realize they made them in pink. As you might guess, I couldn't resist buying some of those. 


Filled with pincushions and accessories made with pieces of vintage quilts, this booth was a magnet for quilters. The vendor makes all of them herself.


This sweet little pincushion wagon made of an antique quilt remnant came home with me.


The show offered plenty to love for wool lovers. I was especially drawn to the hues of the hand-dyed wool in one particular booth, where I found these treasures for a reasonable price.


In another booth, I met Gail of the Woolylady, who was demonstrating the art of rug hooking. Just look at the gorgeous colors in her rug-in-the-making and the quilt behind her.


For wool felt admirers, a great selection awaited in this booth's colorful cubbies.


Loving all things owl, I was captivated by this charming pincushion. The vendor was selling the pattern for him.


This booth was showcasing the Oliso Pro Smart Iron that automatically lifts when not in use. I liked the yellow color but I'm pretty devoted to my trusty Rowenta.


While I was in the Madison area, I also had a chance to visit some quilt shops and antique malls. Come back later this week for a little tour of them!

13 comments:

  1. Fabulous show and even better buys to be had. That little wagon pincushion is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us! The quilts were amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The button quilt is so stunning. I would have liked to see it in person. The whole show sounded wonderful thru your eyes. Wish I could have shopped all of those vendors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the expirence...would have loved to have been there. I loved seeing those crazy quilts, just superb...but the shopping looked divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What marvelous quilts, the works of some real masters. Vendors are always the icing on the cake at a quilt show. Would love to have visited the pin cushion booth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing all these great pics! Love all those beautiful quilts....that crazy quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a great post! Almost like I was there with you, but NOT. You found some real treasures. I'd love to have a crack at that booth with the half yards for $2.99! The wagon pincushion is the cutest one I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of lovely things Kimber! Some real treats for the eye, maybe not so good for the pocket but looks like you got some bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun time for you! LOVE that pink wool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the beautiful fabrics! I sure wish I had some of that wool from those cubbies. Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am known here by my friends as Pink Shirley but you must be my counterpart and are Pink Kimber. Love all that pinkness. Great show and tell.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing these photo's, I love looking at them and wow ... only 7 dollar a yard ???? I pay overhere 15 euro which is about 20 dollar per metre.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved your post on Quilt Expo. Looooved that booth with all the pincushions. Do you remember who was selling the white owl pincushion pattern- that one is exquisite?
    Thanks, Carla

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!