Monday, August 8, 2011

A MORNING AT THE FLEA MARKET

I've missed you all this past week. Work deadlines have kept me from blogland. I have multiple projects going on, including an interesting papercrafting assignment for one of the magazines. But thanks to a fun flea market we visited while home visiting family this past weekend, I do have some new photos to share with you. Sure, there's a lot of junk to sift through at these things, but the variety of items is quite amazing. Where else can you find everything from lovely antique china dolls...


...to miniature pot-bellied pigs (also known as "tea-cup" pigs)? This little girl was getting quite a bit of attention from curious passersby.


One of the dealers had an interesting assortment of antique sewing accessories, including this charming thread box. I was tempted to buy it but couldn't justify the expensive given its condition.


I also loved the artwork in the lid of this thread tin but the price wasn't in my budget.


I thought this vintage toy sewing machine was cute in mint green but it was missing its carrying case. So I passed on it but will keep my eyes peeled for one in the future. 


One of the dealers had a fun booth filled with 1950s and 1960s vintage fabrics and accessories. Fabric packs were arranged sweetly in vintage suitcases. I bought the small aqua-striped suitcase on the left for $2.50. I wasn't sure if this was a lady's or child's carrying case, so I'd be glad to find out if anyone knows the answer. 


Also, couldn't resist buying this vintage barkcloth from her as it was only $5 total for a few yards. I plan to use it for my pincushion orders. I found out she has a shop, too, so I plan to head over there in the near future.


And how cute is this little vintage pincushion—another fun find from the flea market. It was in pristine condition considering its age and it came with the original box.


One of my favorite finds of the day was this antique paper-covered doll trunk. It can be challenging to find them with their paper-covered trays still intact. The blue and brown floral paper in this trunk really spoke to me. 


I am a sucker for vintage children's furniture and noticed this one in a dealer's booth but didn't buy it. I have a small collection of little cupboards from flea markets past.


I know a lot of crafters love to use antique skeleton keys for their creative projects. This dealer had a wonderful array of them and they were selling like hotcakes. Three people bought some while I was perusing his booth!


As you can see, it was a very fun day at the flea market. Come back later this week for a post about something fun that my parents-in-law found for me at the flea market.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun day.....and a fruitful one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was fun. Richard at My Old historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a fun day with some great finds and treasures. I look and look and never find old pin cushions, what a find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what great stuff at your flea market! Around here, flea markets are more like garage sales. Love the sewing boxes. And the little pig. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't you get the little pig???

    Love all your finds! What a great place for a rummage....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go to the best flea markets! Don't you just hate budgets! Poe and Teddy might have liked the little pig as a playmate???? Great finds, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kimber - You go to the BEST flea markets! I never see good stuff like this in Illinois. Good thing my daughter was not there - she would have snatched up that little pig in a minute . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou for sharing your wonderful day at the Flea Market! I think out of all the things there, I would have brought home the little baby piglet!!!! I just couldn't of left it there! They make great pets, some say better than dogs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Flea Market!!! We dont have ones like that here either. Thanks for the trip....

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!