Saturday, July 23, 2011

TOTE OF TREASURES

This morning dawned hot as ever (it's been in the high 90s all this week) but I wasn't going to let this heat wave stop me from enjoying the day. I went thrifting with a friend this morning and turned up some interesting finds. This time we hit some of the local garage sales. To minimize the number of plastic bags I bring home, I've started taking along tote bags to stash my finds while on the go. Last year, I found the cutest one that is made of 95 percent recyclable materials. If you click on this photo, you'll see a delightful menagerie of creatures such as owls, foxes, and peacocks!


My favorite find of the day was this vintage grocery list board, which my mom and mom-in-law tell me is from the 1950s. My husband's mom even remembers one hanging in her childhood kitchen. It's so fun to learn the history behind these treasures of yesterday.


I especially got a kick out of the last item on the list! Who knew it was such a regular must-have item back then?! While today's grocery lists aren't as simple as those of the 50s, I still thought it would be a fun addition to my yellow farmhouse kitchen. The board was missing its pegs but my husband is going to make me new ones.


I also found this vintage crocheted potholder and trivet and a wonderful little pottery crock measuring just 2 inches tall—perfect for a mini African violet! Does anyone know anything about it? It was only $1, so I don't think I could go too wrong buying it.


I also spotted this vintage English candy tin to add to my collection. The vintage sewing basket also came home with me. I often see the sewing baskets in the $25-$35 range so I didn't think $8 was a bad buy for this one, which was in really good condition.


This is what the sewing basket's interior looks like. There is a little ledge for spools and plenty of space for sewing notions. 


And last but not least is this 22-inch-tall gilded antique picture frame complete with an instant relative for $15! I hope he will find his new accommodations at Ashton House most comfortable. My husband has already named him "Jeremiah". Welcome home, Jeremiah!

16 comments:

  1. I think you got a great deal on the sewing box!! It is in wonderful shape & looks like all parts are there. They are very expensive on ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a good thrifting day indeed. Looks like the sewing basket didn't get much use. Some years ago I bought 6 or 8 vintage photos because at that time I did not have pictures of my own great grandparents. Now thos pictures have gotten mixed in with my family photos and I can't remember who is who. A good thing would be to write on the back, my kids are going to have a hard time wondering who these people are when I am gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really got a bargain on that sewing basket. I saw one last year at an antique mall for $40, so I let it pass. Then I found another one on our trip back from Paducah in April for $20 so I grabbed it up. Mine was full of vintage thread and sewing notions, but no strings around the basket. Mine does have a knob at the top. I can't tell if yours has the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous finds! That shopping list is a hoot! And love the thought of how simple things were back then. I too, collect vintage pot holders....these are lovely! And that sewing basket is wonderful....the inside is perfect....well worth the tiny price! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sewing basket! I'll have to keep my eyes open for one around here. i'd say you had a pretty good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did very well on your shopping expedition, I especially love the sewing basket!!! The grocery list board is quite wonderful too, very unusual, but a lovely piece to hang in the kitchen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finds - the little pot looks like a little French salt glaze pot - maybe it had pate in it?

    Love the bunch of grapes and sewing basket - will you be using them all? Hope Jeremiah approves of all your buys - looks like he might be keeping watch over you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your thrift treasures. I guess they will be perfect for you old home, which looks just wonderful. I collect old and antique sewing items. I would love to live in an old house too like you, it would fit my old soul. I've just went through a clean out declutter fase at home and have thrown out all most all of my fabrics which is not repros. They never seem to grow old on me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always find the best deals. I like Jeremiah, I actually have a similiar picture and frame, but it is of my grandfather. The vintage English candy tin is in such great condition. Good job! Your tote is so you...is it oil cloth?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You find the best treasures! It always amazes me to find such neat old pictures - wouldn't you think that someone in the family would have wanted them? Glad Jeremiah found a new home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun treasures! I love Jeremiah!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for your kind comments, everyone! It is always so nice to hear from my fellow blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun finds!
    The little crock looks like Rockdale Wood Fired Pottery/Crocks. Nice!
    I have the same doily framed - an Iowa find for me ;-)
    Love the decal at the bottom of the basket.
    Can I come shopping with you?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great finds! Jeremiah is very special. I'm glad you're giving him a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to find some of those wonderful treasures around where I live. I love that shopping board... and the sewing basket. Too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When can I go thrifting with you? I will come all the way from Arizona. You find the best and most unique stuff.....Debbie/Elkhorn Quilt Company

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!