Thursday, July 14, 2011

A LITTLE QUILT AND A QUILT SHOP

Many moons ago, I made this little quilt called "Egg Coffee"—named after the Danish tradition of putting an egg in your coffee (The shop where I purchased the pattern is located in a town that is Danish in heritage). It was one of the first quilts that I made. I was lucky to learn quilting with the help of all the modern conveniences such as rotary cutters and Omnigrid rulers. Ever since I started quilting, I have been drawn to doll-size and wallhanging-size quilts and those are the ones I prefer to make even though I have made full-size quilts.


One of the quilt shops that has really inspired me since I was a beginning quilter was Prairie Star Quilts. The owner designed the charming little quilt (above), and while this pattern has come and gone, she still designs patterns under the Prairie Star Quilts label. She and her staff make you feel welcome from the moment you enter the door. As you can see from the photo below, the shop emanates warmth with its quilt-adorned brick walls and inviting displays.


The picturesque displays incorporate antique pieces that meld perfectly with the shop's traditional and 1800s reproduction projects and fabrics—for which they are well known. The shop is a previous Quilt Sampler Top Ten shop, so it's well worth a stop!


Last year, the owner designed her first line of fabric called "Prairie Homefront" inspired by some of her antique quilts. I was able to see it for the first time at last spring's Quilt Market in Minneapolis. This display features the fabrics as well as quilt projects made with them. I hope she will design another line soon!


While I was there taking these photos with the owner's permission, my quilting friend Mary walked in. She made these wonderful blocks and was looking for a complementary setting fabric for them. I think I might have to buy the book that these blocks are featured in!


We all have those special quilt shops that constantly inspire us and become a home away from home, so to speak. That's how I feel when I visit Prairie Star Quilts! 

On another note, I have received a few emails from readers asking where they can find the i-top button making tool that I highlighted in my previous post here. At the end of that post is a link to a store locator on the Imaginisce website. If you can't find a shop near you there, I believe you can also purchase this tool on Amazon.

9 comments:

  1. That is a shop that I have always wanted to go to! One of these days I will make the trip that direction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love red, and especially quilts with red in them. Thanks for stopping by. Richard at My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little quilt is darling! And the pictures in your post are lovely. I received History Repeated today and want to thank you for this giveaway drawing. It's a fabulous book and beautifully done........not just saying that because I won....... Quilters, you need to add this to your library. Thank you, again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your little quilt. that block has always been a favourite of mine. Colour choices are great too.
    What a gorgeous shop. Wish it was my corner quilt shop:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you tell me what book has the pattern for the trip around the world blocks made by your friend, Mary? Lovely post, I read and enjoyed some of your previous posts also, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like all your small quilts. I am just working on my first small quilt and would like to hand quilt. What batting would you recommend for the vintage look. Hugs and stitches, BettyLou

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely little quilt and what a great shop - how could you fail to be inspired. Your friend too has a fantastic quilt in the making. I hope she found her setting fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An egg in my coffee doesn't really sound all that tasty, but the quilt is yummy. Wish I could make a trip to the midwest and hop to all the wonderful shops you speak of. Mary's blocks are wonderful...will she set them all into one quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little quilt is timeless!!
    Beautiful shop - looks like the kind of shop you can spend lots of time and quality shopping ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!