Monday, June 27, 2011

A NEW BOOK FOR REPRODUCTION QUILT LOVERS

I'm pleased to announce my most recent quilt book editing project—a captivating collection of 1800s reproduction quilts by the 19th-Century Patchwork Divas, a Texas-based block exchange group with a passion for recreating (and sometimes reinventing) quilted treasures of the past. Written by Patchwork Diva co-founders Betsy Chutchian and Carol Staehle, History Repeated: Block Exchange Quilts by the 19th-Century Patchwork Divas offers 16 classic quilt patterns. Many of you Kansas City Star quilt book fans may recognize Betsy's name from her first book with us, Gone to Texas.


Each of the projects was inspired by the Patchwork Divas' love of antique 19th-century quilts. Betsy (on the right) and Carol (on the left) are amazingly adept at combining colors in the wonderful palette of 1800s reproduction fabrics.


It was love at first sight when I saw Betsy's Wheel of Fortune quilt (with the green garden-maze setting), which is featured prominently on the book cover above. I also fell in love with Carol's Nine-Patch Pinwheels quilt (below). I took this photo of it at the location shoot in Kansas City.


All the setting photos were shot on location in a charming historical home in Kansas City. When we were searching for possible photo shoot locations, a KC-area friend had recommended this particular historical house to me and after Carol and Betsy whittled down the location options, it turned out to be the one. Carol then coordinated all of the necessary details to make it happen. Here are some other photos I took on the day of the location shoot. In addition to the 16 patterned quilts, we also included photo galleries of additional quilts made by the Patchwork Divas throughout the book for extra inspiration. This quilt is one of the few signature quilts made by the group.


All the quilts, including this Blindman's Fancy beauty, melded perfectly with the home's antique furnishings. Don't you just want to curl up for an afternoon nap underneath this lovely quilt?


Each of the book's chapters feature detailed block instructions that you can easily adapt for your own block exchange as well as one to three setting options for completing your quilts. And for those who prefer to make the quilts individually, each setting option also includes all the necessary block instructions to successfully complete the projects from start to finish.


To see more of the beautiful quilts, you'll have to run out and purchase a copy of this inspiration-packed book that will be arriving in quilt shops very soon. I hope these photos have piqued your curiosity! Stay tuned for a special giveaway next month, when I'll be giving away a copy of the book to one of my wonderful followers.

18 comments:

  1. I am so glad to have read your blog. I've been away from blogging but thought I would check in on some people today. This looks like a wonderful book to add to my quilt books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, of course, I have to have it! How soon can it be ordered? I'll ask my favorite shop to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a lovely book. How beautifully are the quilts diplayed. I love the photo at the stair case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a fabulous book. I can't wait to check it out! Thank you for sharing a peek inside it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a book I will love!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I will love this one and it will be on my shelf soon!! I like the pale blue background used to set the nine patch pinwheels quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If its anything like GONE TO TEXAS I have got to have this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MUST HAVE!!!! Having been lucky enough to see some of the "Divas" quilts live and in person, this is a MUST HAVE book for me! So excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I think I just had a heart attack that Eastlake bed is to die for! I love the quilts too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have Gone to Texas and thanks to your wonderful Review I see that History Repeated is a definate must have. Two friends and myself have actually been making the Blind Man's Fancy quilt as a swap over the last 12 months. There is still quite a few geese left to make but after seeing the photograph of the quilt on the bed I know they are going to look great.
    Cheers
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just know this will be a wonderful book! Love your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every one of those quilts is now on my 'must make' list! They are all so beautiful! I can't wait for the book to come out! Thanks for the great preview!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the heads-up, this is one I will definitely need to own!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely setting for the quilts. Your review is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Kimber! The book looks like it will be very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking forward to seeing this new book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH I have to get that book! I saw an exhibit with some of their quilts and they were my favorites of the show! I have even started making one of them just from the picture I took!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm afraid I've caved in and ordered the book 'History Repeated'. Thankyou for featuring some of the pages of quilts, one I have just fallen for LOL!!!! They are all just gorgeous anyway, but one has stolen my heart and imagination!!! Can't wait to get my copy!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!