Thursday, June 2, 2011

FLOWERS AND FRIENDS

I had the best intentions to post earlier this week but that clearly did not work out. I've been juggling a couple quilt book editing projects that I hope to share with you really soon as well as some magazine articles. And last week, I planted some garden beds for a project that I'm producing for one of the Meredith garden magazines. Sprinkled among my work projects, I've had some fun diversions—like going to the downtown Farmer's Market early Saturday morning. My husband and I met up with my friend Cinda to shop for veggies and flowers. Who needs coffee to perk you up at 7:00 a.m. when you have these vibrant flowering beauties to gaze upon?


Being a "pink" person, I fell in love with the color of the peonies on the far right. I found out they're homegrown in my hometown just 65 miles south of Des Moines.


For years I have purchased orchids at the farmer's market. They had a particularly nice selection of small-sized moth orchids—the easiest kind to grow. I like their shorter stems. 


One of my favorite indulgences is homemade soaps, and this booth certainly had quite an assortment of them.


Decisions, decisions! I finally settled on Lily of the Valley.


There was even a booth of handcrafted dolls. Being a dollmaker myself, I enjoyed meeting these lovingly-crafted ladies.


On the way home, my hubby stopped by a local bakery to get me my favorite local macarons. As you can see, I wasted no time in eating a few! I am obsessed with these French-style delights. 


Another recent fun diversion was going on a quilt shop day trip with my friends Belinda and Merry, who had discovered a one-of-a-kind quilt shop and wanted to share the experience with me. And when I say "experience", I really mean "experience". They warned me that Quilts and Other Notions was a quilter's paradise with more than 7,000 bolts of fabric, tons of books and patterns, and a mesmerizing array of notions; and indeed, they were right. I'd never seen so many books and patterns in one place before. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera along, but this Jo Morton laminate was my favorite find of the day. I think it would make a fun tote. Any other ideas?


I hadn't seen Flutterby charm packs in quite some time, so this was the perfect opportunity to snatch up a couple more. I also like this Moda pink trim and owl-adorned ribbon. 


As if sharing a fun-filled day with these two friends wasn't enough of a gjft to me, they gifted me the loveliest of surprises. As you have probably noticed from previous posts, Belinda and Merry are incredibly thoughtful and generous. Belinda gave me this delightful mug, fat quarter, trims, and apple crisps (which were just the yummiest, by the way).


The ever-creative Merry gave me this lovely solar lantern that she made herself. What a neat idea! 

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Peonies- Your whole post is in the PINK. Agh Summer is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that beautiful pink. I know a lot of people don't like it but for me it really is uplifting and you have done a great job of the show and tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pink peonies are to die for! And what a great Farmer's Market...not just produce. Merry and Belinda are the best...love their little gifts to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, as always! You didn't mention the name of that shop you visited. It sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great eye candy! The flowers are all just beautiful, and I love that laminate! I have not seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you hit all my favorites...pink flowers, handmade soap, baked goodies, fabric and friends....perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post! Flowers are so pretty...Thank You for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  8. We went to the farmers market, I loved it! But it started to rain while we were there so that put a damper on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please tell Merry I would love to know how to make the solar lantern. Love the pink trim also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh those flowers are beautiful...
    I would love placemats from that laminated fabric!
    have a cup of tea and a pink delicious looking macaroon?
    what ever they are they look wonderful!
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too love Pink, and even if I didn't, I would be a fan after seeing your lovely pics Kimber! Just beautiful! The Macaroons look yummy too. Sounds like a perfect day :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!