Friday, May 13, 2011

QUILT MARKET MEMORIES

The spring edition of International Quilt Market started today in Salt Lake City and while I wasn't able to go this time, it does bring back fond memories of last spring's Quilt Market in Minneapolis. The highlight for me was watching Ye Olde Schoolhouse quilt shop in Cedarburg, WI, being announced as a Quilt Sampler Fall 2010 shop. I first met owner Jeanie Rudich in the fall of 2009 when I visited her shop on a trip to Madison, WI.  The following spring, I wrote her shop profile for Quilt Sampler. I met up with her before taking this photo of her with American Patchwork and Quilting editor Jennifer Keltner. If you haven't visited her shop, you must go! Both Jeanie and her shop are gems.


Last spring was also the first time I experienced the phenomenon that is Sample Spree, where attendees rush to purchase the newest fabrics, patterns, notions, and other quilting must-haves. There was a huge line to get in and when the doors opened, it was like a stampede. Luckily, I was able to do some shopping before the crowd was allowed in. The Moda booth is always a big draw and they always throw in a fun tote with your purchases.


It comes in handy for gathering all your goodies! I stopped by many of the fabric manufacturer's tables, including Moda, Riley Blake, Robert Kaufman, and Andover to pick up these fun bundles. Many of these fabrics have already found their way into projects since I brought them home last May.


As a lover of 1800s reproduction fabrics, I couldn't resist picking us this fat quarter bundle at the Windham Fabrics table. 


Another favorite purchase from last year was this lovely collection of Aurifil wool thread. It works like a dream.


Attending Quilt Market also gave me an opportunity to meet many of the quilt book authors that I work with as editor with Kansas City Star Quilt books. I had a wonderful lunch conversation with Renee Plains of Liberty Star and I also enjoyed meeting Sheri Howard, who has published two books with us, and Karen Witt of Reproduction Quilts. This year, one of my authors, Dawn Heese of Linen Closet Quilts, has a booth there for the first time. And some of my other authors—Anni Downs of Hatched and Patched, Tara Lynn Darr of Sew Unique Creations, and Betsy Chutchian—are also there. 

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE that arifil thread! I know what you mean, I have thoguth about market all day yesterday and today knowing what is going on...I am going tomorrow. I will look for Dawn's booth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this peek at quilt market!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how I wish I was there !
    Can't wait to see Betsy's new book!!!!
    maybe you will be at Houston fall market ?
    shopping at shopping spree would just be amazing!
    have a wonderful weekend.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, Kathie, Maureen, and Sheri. It sure was a fun time. Sheri, I hope you're having a good time at this spring's market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those of you who've posted comments, I'm sorry I'm not able to post them. I've tried but Blogger doesn't seem to let them through!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!