Wednesday, May 25, 2011

KANSAS CITY TRIP PART 2

As promised, I wanted to share more photos from my recent Kansas City trip (see my earlier post for the first installment). Since I had never been to Lawrence, Kansas (about 40 minutes away from KC), we decided to head there for a day. On the way there, we stopped off in the small town of Eudora, where we visited a fun quilt shop called Quilting Bits and Pieces. One of the owners is the technical editor for my most recent quilt book editing project with Kansas City Star. She has the all-important job of checking our measurements and instructions!


She and her two business partners are the authors of several Kansas City Star Quilt books themselves and they are all talented appliquérs—as evident in this exquisite quilt they designed and made for their Leaving Baltimore book.


In addition to lots of lovely quilt samples, the shop was filled with delightful fabric displays. This cozy vignette hosts some Fig Tree Quilts and Bunny Hill Designs prints. Above the display is an appliquéd beauty by The Vintage Spool.


I was intrigued by this shop sample, which illustrates the needlework technique of twilling. Be sure to click the photo for a closer view of the stitches.


Pincushions always perk me up and this cherry pie pincushion pattern and cupcake sample were no exception. The colorful hot pad would made a fun gift for a friend.


I mentioned in my previous post that I've been finding a lot of bag patterns lately and this one from Bunny Hill Designs came home with me. I really liked the color palette of the sample, and luckily, the shop had just enough fabric left in the main black floral print! 


After a pleasant stop in Eudora, we headed on to Lawrence, Kansas, where we explored the historical downtown area. I had heard about Sarah's Fabrics, which sells both quilt and fashion fabrics, but wasn't prepared for the diversity of fabrics that awaited!


The historical building's original tin ceiling, wooden floor, and stone walls made a wonderful backdrop for the amazing array of fabrics. There were lots of offerings by modern fabric designers such as Amy Butler, Denyse Schmidt, Jane Sassaman, and Kaffe Fassett, but I also found some 1800s reproductions among the eclectic mix.


My favorite fabric finds were these Japanese Echino prints, a cotton and linen blend. I saw them at last year's spring Quilt Market but haven't been able to find them in my area. I was going to order them online but never got around to it, so it was the perfect excuse to finally purchase them.


Being an owl lover, I was instantly drawn to this festive holiday print with these feathered friends.


Ironically, while I was in KC, my mail order for this fabric in a different colorway came in! Here it is. 


A package of this sweet owl fabric was also awaiting me when I returned home. I think this print has been out for nearly a year, so I was lucky to find some it. 


If you're in the Lawrence or Eudora, Kansas area, be sure to stop by Sarah's Fabrics and Quilting Bits and Pieces! This was my first visit to both shops and I'd definitely stop in at both again. It's always fun to explore new quilt shops!

4 comments:

  1. So many beautiful fabrics and quilts. Wall to wall inspiration in both shops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely blog! Beautiful photos....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to go to the KC area and go fabric shopping so many great quilt shops and designers in that area!
    thanks for the pictures it was fun to wander thru the stores with you!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely trip and lots of wonderful fabrics to touch and see.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!