Sunday, May 22, 2011

KANSAS CITY TRIP PART 1

I just returned from a trip to Kansas City, where we shot photography for a magazine project I am working on. While I can't divulge the details on it just yet, I did want to share some photos from my trip. My first stop on the way to KC was The Quilt Shoppe in Stewartsville, MO. Home to the incredibly talented fabric designer Tula Pink (her mom owns the shop), it is always a fun stop. Luckily, she was there when I stopped by and I was delighted to see that she had recreated her booth from Quilt Market right in the shop! Here she is posing for my camera in her booth...


I am a big fan of Tula Pink fabrics and have purchased several of them over the years. So as soon as I got home, I ordered several from her latest line, Prince Charming. It is so new that it hadn't yet arrived in the shop at the time of my visit but by the time I returned home, I noticed that one of my favorite internet quilt shops had it in stock. Did you know that Tula Pink creates each and every design from scratch by hand sketching it? I am amazed by the intricacy of her designs. Just look at this frog—the star of the new Prince Charming line.


For her Quilt Market booth, she created this colorful vignette of book covers in the new fabric designs.


Being a pink and green fan, this colorway was one of my favorites!


Here's another angle of her booth. The quilt on the chair was made with her wonderfully soft voiles. I had to get some of those, too.


While I was there, I picked up a laminate and a regular cotton print from her earlier Parisville line.


Here are more Parisville prints and some spirited pillows fashioned with these imaginative prints.


There was plenty of other eye candy to admire while at the shop. Many of you might recognize it from Quilt Sampler magazine (it was featured in a 2008 issue). This display of Anna Griffin fabrics (one of my other favorite fabric designers) caught my eye and I found a few new pieces to add to my collection.


I loved the shop's assortment of creative purse kits. It seems like I find more and more bag patterns that I can't resist these days.


This festive tree skirt was offered as a panel (you must buy two for a complete skirt). Its assembly instructions are printed right on the fabric. 


I couldn't resist this scrumptious-looking cake-laden fabric from Lakehouse. I have no idea what I'll do with it yet but thought I'd better get it while I could.


I hope you enjoyed this little tour of The Quilt Shoppe. If you're in the Kansas City area, it's well worth a stop. It's just a little ways off Interstate 35. I'll share photos of some other quilt shops I visited later this week, so be sure to stop by again soon!

8 comments:

  1. Ooooooh, I love her fabrics! I'll have to make a trip up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun you get to see all those in person! Another new quilty book coming out soon?? I love that cake fabric a lot, too! Yummy fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun shoppe, great fabrics. I would love to have a bag made from the laminated fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always fun to see shops online!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear sweet sister is a quilter. We are going to KC for a wedding and will make this shop a must. I just love KC. It is so more advanced than other Missouri cities, yet is =known as a cow town??? Thanks for sharing. Richard at my Old Historic House

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stewartsville is a great shop, isn't it! Did you happen to get to see my baby quilts on the south wall? I was there a couple or 3 weekends ago when they had a bus tour go through and Kathy let me have a little trunk show. It was a busy place that weekend. They are a great bunch of gals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fabulous fun time! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures, I love that cake fabric :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!