Sunday, May 8, 2011

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, MOM

I just got back from a lovely weekend spent with my mom and dad. As we celebrate Mother's Day, I am reminded of how much joy Mom (below) has brought to my life. She has been an encouraging force throughout it. When I was a shy first grader, she sent little notes of encouragement in my school lunchbox. When I wanted to learn how to play violin as a high school junior and thought it was too late to learn a new instrument, she bought me my first violin and paid for private lessons so I could play in the school orchestra. When I was accepted into law school with a scholarship, she sent me a card saying she always knew I could do it. Most of all, she taught me to always believe in myself. Thank you, Mom!


When I was in junior high school, Mom gave me a newspaper clipping with an Erma Bombeck column that included this message entitled "A Mother's Love", which I have kept all these years. On Mother's Day, I always get it out and read it:

A MOTHER'S LOVE

Some day when my children are old enough to understand the logic that motivates a mother, I will tell them:
I loved you enough to ask about where you were going, with whom and what time you would get home.
I loved you enough to insist that you buy a bike, that we could afford to give you, with your own money.
I loved you enough to make you return a Milky-Way— with a bite out of it—to the drug store and to confess "I stole this."
I loved you enough to stand over you for two hours while you cleaned your room, a job that would have taken me 15 minutes.
I loved you enough to let you see anger, disappointment, disgust and tears in my eyes.
I loved you enough to admit I was wrong and ask for your forgiveness.
I loved you enough to let you stumble, fall and hurt.
But most of all, I loved you enough to say NO when you hated me for it. That was the hardest part of all.

3 comments:

  1. Law school??!! I had no idea. The picture of your mom is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to every word of your poem. My children have tested my patience to the very limits at times but I would never want to be without them. Well done to your Mum for being so grounded. Glad you had a lovely day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Kimber your Mom sounds like a wonderful woman! I know the apple didn't fall far from the tree :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!