Tuesday, April 19, 2011

TREASURE HUNTING

One of the guest rooms in our 1885 Victorian home has been in dire need of decorating for longer than I care to admit. But I don’t have a big design budget to work with, so I’ve been looking for fun furnishings that won’t cost me a fortune. Imagine my delight when I found the perfect dresser on a recent outing. It's sitting downstairs until we can get it upstairs to its permanent home. Weekends often find me scouring the countryside for treasures or bargains, and I feel like I hit the jackpot with this $125 find. The dealer had painted and distressed it because the finish was in less-than-stellar condition.


I love the carved detail in the drawers. Other favorite touches are the little candle stands that flank the mirror and the original brown marble top insert.


Another recent treasure-hunting excursion turned up this vintage commode—and although it isn’t an exact match for the dresser, I think it will make a nice companion for it in my guest room. At $68, the price seemed right on this piece, too! Click on the photo for a more detailed shot.


I was particularly drawn to it because of the wonderful acorn motifs. There's something so delightful about acorns, and it's hard to find furniture pieces that incorporate them. 


And just this weekend I found this lovely Cheval dresser, which I plan to put in a different bedroom. It doesn't bother me that these pieces are not exact matches as I like a somewhat eclectic look and I'm not a purist when it comes to styles. It's enough for me if a piece makes me happy! And like the other pieces, this one fit my budget at $130. My husband was kind enough to hold the mirror up so I could snap a quick photo of it for you (that's his arm peeking from behind the mirror).


The first two pieces will complete my guest room furniture ensemble. Fortunately, I already had two Jenny Lind spool twin beds—tag sale finds at $20 for the pair. All they needed was a good polishing and a pair of vintage 1930s quilts to dress them up. I guess the lesson of this treasure-hunting tale is that you don’t have to spend a small fortune to furnish a room. The tally for these furniture pieces totaled $343—not bad for furnishing an entire room, plus part of another! And their collective charm is priceless to me.

Other treasure hunts this weekend turned up the following fun finds. One of my weaknesses is ribbon. The patterned green and brown ones are from a Danish company.


If you regularly read my blog, you already know that I collect vintage books with pretty illustrations. I found this sweet little book, which is just 5 inches tall. It has the dearest illustrations of two little girls named Flora and Josephine. Click on the photo for a more detailed shot. It was published in 1863 and is in remarkably good shape for its age. It's neat to imagine some little Victorian girl reading it.


One of my other favorite collectibles is vintage ledgers from the 1800s through the 1930s. When I spotted this one, I knew I had to have it.


And lastly, I picked up this fun spring bag trimmed in one of my favorite shades of green. It's not the kind of thing I would normally buy but it grew on me. The dealer pointed out that it matched my green raincoat! Yes, it was raining here again!


So as I end this post, I'm curious to know: What is YOUR favorite vintage furniture find? I hope you've found that special piece to help make your house a home!

5 comments:

  1. Well, favorites change with new discoveries all the time....but I'd have to say for furniture it is the English Pedestal Table in the morning room. Thank you for sharing your treasured finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous finds!! I'd love to have those in our house, but it may not look as good as at your Victorian home :) Pretty ribbons, basket, and all other lovely stuff may have just awaited for you to meet them!!! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pieces~ now that is some wonderful finds!
    smiles
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does one get so lucky.....you certainly have an eye for your finds. The acorn motifs are fabulous as well as the rest of your pieces. I think I would like to go treasure shopping with you one day.

    Smiles - Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure have gotten a lot of deals! Most of my furniture is handed down from family and my favorite is a breakfront cabinet with curved glass my husbands family acquired when they were living in Anderson, South Carolina in the 60's. The people who'd lived in the house previously didn't want to move it. Since then it's been moved to Maryland, back to SC and then north again to Virginia!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!