Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A DELIGHTFUL DIVERSION

It's been another crazy week here working on a new Victoria magazine assignment, a kitchen article, and Quilt Sampler magazine shop profiles, plus editing another quilt book. So I'm afraid I don't have any new quilt projects to share with you like the ones I've been seeing on so many of your blogs. For now, I will have to live vicariously through your beautiful projects!

After spending four straight days cooped up in my house working on assignments last week, I was going a bit stir crazy. So I escaped for a mid-afternoon diversion to some of my favorite haunts. When I head out on these spontaneous excursions, I never know what I’ll find. Even if I come home empty-handed, it's always refreshing to get out and about. This trip proved to be a very fruitful one. First stop was a delightful antique shop where I happened upon an intriguing old book. Judging from the cover, it looked fairly nondescript but I'm drawn to even the look of old books.


When I opened it, I was astounded by the beauty of what I found before me. It was a whole year's worth of a ladies magazine from 1881, still in wonderful condition considering its age.


The book also included these gorgeous fold-out portraits of ladies dressed in all their finery. The detail was exquisite. I'm afraid my photos aren't doing them much justice.


I also purchased an 1856 book for its beautiful illustrations. It's fascinating to read these old tomes and see what what was fashionable during those times. Here is an article on hairstyles of the period.


This huge roll of soft yellow vintage lace seemed to call my name for just $5. What I'll use it for, I do not know, but it was just too pretty to pass up. The tag said it had at least 300 yards on it!


Then it was on to another antique shop where I found this delicious handspun and hand-dyed wool roving created right here in my home state. The colors were absolutely glorious. 


The colorations in this one were captivating—beautiful streaks of lavender and green mixed with the yellow.


I couldn't resist this sweet pink one. A few years ago, I designed a wool bunny pincushion named "Parsley", which I make for quilt shops and boutiques, and I think it will make a nice little tail for him!


Speaking of bunnies, the fanciful ones on this fun handkerchief charmed their way into my heart. I've never seen one like it before. If any of you have, let me know. 


I love to collect old china teapots, saucers, and other serving pieces. Since this charming little cup was marked down to $2, I thought I'd take it home with me to hold some of my makeup brushes.


This last find wasn't found on my outing but I absolutely fell in love it at first sight. As a reward for getting through my root canal, I bought myself a cute little ruler box at Temecula Quilt Co. The boxes come in two sizes as shown below. Sheryl, the owner, gave me permission to use her lovely photo here as I don't think I could take a better picture of them than that! Aren't they just the sweetest things? I've already filled all the compartments in my box with my grandma's pearl buttons. Sheryl, please thank your husband for making these handy little organizers!

And thankfully, as it turned out, my root canal was a breeze. The numbing medication in the shots made me fall asleep in the chair! The next thing I remembered was the doctor saying he was done.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my! You found some fabulous goodies! I love the old book with all those beautiful illustrations from the ladies magazine!

    And the wool roving is something I love too. I just blogged about a wool lady who hand dyes wool and lives just 35 minutes from me! Who knew? Very exciting:D :D

    Can't wait for that Quilt Sampler to come out. One of m home state's shops...Hearts to Holly is featured in it!

    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best kind of root canal!

    I love your finds. The bunny hanky looks like it could be French. It's very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a GREAt day out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You found some wonderful treasures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch, I hate root canals! Your outing certainly paid off in some lovely treasures, love the lace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely things you found! I would have bought every one of them too! x I like the wooden boxes especially x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful things you bought, that lace is so beautiful and that wool too !!!
    I like those wooden boxes, they are so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the book - I could probably spend hours looking through it. Lace is beautiful too.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those little ruler boxes. Does the maker sell them online?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!