Saturday, January 15, 2011

WISHING FOR SPRING

It's only January and here I am wishing for spring days again. It's a chilly 17 degrees here today. The garden is buried under a fresh blanket of snow. It's times like these when I can't help but dream of the blooms that decorate my spring garden. This is a scene from my side garden from late spring. We inherited the bed of ferns from the previous landscape and I planted the pink caladiums to add a dash of color. The deep window ledges lend a welcome stage for pots of pelargoniums. Being a "pink" person, I usually pick some shade of that color.


Right now the only blooms among my surroundings are those of my houseplants, such as this pinwheel African violet. It loves its place in this sunny window. I am going to start selling a few of my plants later this year from my home. My husband has offered to make me a little sign to post on our front yard as plants are available.


Did you know these plants are easy to propagate with leaf cuttings? I started these babies from a single leaf. I've zoomed in on this photo but the largest leaves shown here are only about 1/4" wide.


On a totally different note, I wanted to let you know that I will soon be hosting another giveaway for my wonderful followers. I appreciate you so much! This one will be for a copy of the new Bags, Pillows, and Pincushions book (which features my pincushion on the cover) by the team at American Patchwork & Quilting. I wish I could give one to all of you! The book comes out the last week in January. See last week's post for more details about the book itself if you wish. I'll be doing the giveaway as soon as I get my extra copies. So stay tuned! Hope you all have a great weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Loved your pincushion on the cover. Keep wishing spring will come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there and stay warm! Thanks for the lovely reminders what is to come. You know I will be back for your giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe.... seeing your blooming AV makes me yearn for some bloomers in my house. Maybe I'll go and adopt a plant for my house. The poinsettia still looks nice, but, I need something besides that to make it a little more "springy" here. HUGS... and stitches

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice to see those flowers. I love to garden too, it is so relaxing. Those African violets looks great !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely garden - can't wait to see more of it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!