Wednesday, January 19, 2011

MORE DECORATING WITH QUILTS

My apologies for being a bad blogger lately. I've been knee deep in another quilt book editing project and have been finding it difficult to get much of anything else done. Since I haven't made much progress in the sewing room lately, I thought I'd share a quilt decorating idea I found in a magazine several years ago. I'm always looking for ways to store and display my quitls and thought this was such a fun idea. The owner had transformed a changing table into a fun display for her quilts. This is the photo I saw in the magazine:


I took inspiration from her idea and found a similar changing table six years ago, painted it one of my favorite shades of green, and brought it upstairs to my small sewing room. Of course, mine is not nearly as tidy as hers. Scraps of crazy quilt fabrics often get tossed on the bottom shelf when I'm in a work frenzy. My husband applied a layer of polyurethane over the entire piece to protect the quilts from the wood and I also have a sheet of plastic on the bottom of each shelf for further protection. The pink and black basket quilt hanging on the wall is from Jo Morton's Little Women club. 


A friend made me this little quilt with scraps from other projects and it looks charming displayed on this primitive-style child's hutch filled with blue willow china.


How do you decorate with quilts? I'd love to hear your ideas. For the most part, I do try to display my quilts rather than leave them languishing in a dark closet. They add so much warmth and character to a home.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this idea! How clever! And it doubles as a cat bed too!
    Carla from Fargo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remeber when that magazine came out with the photo. Your sewing looks nice. I have an old treadle singer that I hang a little quilt out of the top drawer (quilt hangs on point).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great way to store and display quilts. I like the little quilt that your friend made for you and it's so cute where you displayed it. I typically hang quilts for display. Others are thrown over the back of a chair or on a bed and are used daily. I do have some things tucked away that could be folded and displayed as you have done. Thanks for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love to see how others decorate with quilts. Until this Christmas, I rarely pulled my antiques out. Then I realized that I was going through life without enjoying my collection. Now, I am regularly displaying one as a table cover and rolling another two into a basket. I rotate them frequently to minimize their exposure to light and the basket. I use the more tattered ones on the table since I can easily hide the worn parts. I have displayed my own creations folded in piles. I love your changing table display and that is a perfect green for those 1930s beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilts and how you display them looks just great. About the only thing that I can add is the obvious - doll beds. I have collected a few antique ones, and use them to display little quilts. Generally, though, the quilts are too large for the beds. I also like to see them amassed on a wall as I've seen in a book, and a few blogs. Oh, Mary Ghormley, a doll quiltmaker and collector displays some doll quilts draped over the back of a bed frame. They looks fabulous - draped, and overlapping. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautifully done...love the recycling aspect of the project as well!

    The quilts are gorgeous...

    Happy Stitchin'
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful way to display the quilts!
    So very pretty!
    thanks for sharing!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the changing table idea....it looks great! I have my kids' old one out in the garage so may just go rescue it and put it to better use!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember seeing this idea and liking it. I plan to do a similar thing with a child's desk that was my mothers. It's one of those with a lift up top, but the top wore out a long time ago. My DH was just sanding it last night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a friend that has the same table as the first picture, only darker. Your one is green is the perfect color for 30's! I may have to look for one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea !! I have only a few quilts to display, the others I all gave away.
    I have one on my wall hanging and two lying a a little table.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to display quilts, mine are scattered throughout my house and I change them with the seasons. I have my Grandmothers treadle sewing machine & cabinet where I lay doll quilts, a childs chair that my Grandfather made where I have a cute teddy and more small quilts. I also have a childs antique school desk where I presently have an red/cream apple quilt. I think quilts should be seen and NOT stored.
    Your ideas are adorable and I will be on the lookout for a changing table.
    Thanks
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun idea and I got a good laugh with the cat laying on the changing table.
    I adore the green you painted yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nicely displayed! I gave my own dolls cot (that my dad made for me in the 1950's) to my little grand daughter - I can't imagine she would want me to have it back even though it would be ideal for displaying quilts! I painted it that 'old' green as well!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!