Tuesday, November 9, 2010

DECORATING WITH LITTLE QUILTS

I've been smitten with doll quilts since I happened upon a vintage 1930s one at a flea market 10 years ago. Ever since then, I've enjoyed making them. These smaller quilts usually fit my busy work schedule better than full-size ones. A few years ago, I participated in a doll quilt club at a nearby quilt shop. We received a pattern and a kit in the mail each month. I must admit I have yet to finish all the kits but I am making progress. This little 25-patch quilt is from that club. Strip piecing made the construction go swiftly. It now has a prized place in my sewing room alongside an old Singer sewing machine that I rescued from a thrift store for $10. It was covered with dust and grime but I knew it would shine up well. My handy husband rewired the cord and it was ready to sew on again!


Here's another little quilt on display in our home. When we moved in six years ago, I needed to find a way to disguise an unsightly phone jack attached to a wall in an upstairs hallway. This quilt proved to be the perfect solution. Now we have a cordless phone, so hiding cords isn't an issue anymore but I kept the quilt where it was because it's such a colorful backdrop for my tabletop display. I love scrappy quilts and used a bunch of bits and pieces left over from other projects to make this quilt. I'll share more small quilt displays around my home in future posts.

7 comments:

  1. I love the quilts but I want to ask you about the machine. Does it have a vibrating shuttle? If so, How do you thread the spindle?
    www.quiltsampler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them both! Your displays are always so "picture perfect." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I love your small quilt vignettes, I am intrigued by the aqua and limey green cabinetry! Is it in your sewing room? My daughter would love it if my sewing room was that much fun!! And that Singer is a treasure!! Are you kidding me, just $10??? Gotta love those 'handyman' men!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those little quilts and what a bonus to find a machine for $10.00 and have a handyman to fix it up. Lucky Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of doll quilts and love seeing how others decorate with them. I love both of your little quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little miniature quilts - those pinky brown fabrics are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that singer! And with the gorgeous little quilt it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!