Thursday, October 21, 2010

QUILT SHOP BLISS

Do you have a favorite quilt shop that seems as though it was made especially for you? For me, Eagle Creek Quilt Shop in Shakopee, Minnesota, is one of those. I’ve been going there since shortly after they opened their doors in 2001. It’s 2400 square feet of sheer bliss. As many of you regular blog readers know, I love reproduction fabrics, and Eagle Creek carries a wonderful array of them as well as more contemporary cottons and batiks. Their staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful and I always feel at home from the moment I enter the shop. These gals were busy cutting fabrics when I walked in.


As a history buff, one of the things I love about the shop is that it's located in a historical 1909 railroad depot.


The shop extends a warm welcome from the moment you approach its front door. A cheerful display of blooms greeted us when we recently stopped by on our biannual trip to the Twin Cities.


Owners Lori Gillick (below) and Becky Kelso have done a fantastic job of outfitting the shop with plenty of inspiration for quilters. Their beautiful shop samples never cease to captivate me.



This wall features 1930s reproduction prints and several fun Moda collections. The shop also had a great assortment of oilcloth and vinyl-coated cottons—perfect for crafting totes and other accessories.


Off the front room is an inviting area filled with fabric, patterns, and more enchanting shop samples. I love the sheep quilt on the left. Lori and Becky have a knack for decorating. The result is a homey ambience that makes you want to linger there all day!


Even the window ledges display enchanting vignettes. A scrappy thimble quilt warmed a bare patch of wall.


Fun holiday projects brightened this corner. Wouldn't this festive poinsettia table rug make a charming table display? The fanciful stocking dressed in dots would make a fun gift.


This cozy brick-lined room is located off the room in the previous pics. As you can see, the shop carries an alluring array of batiks.


This display of hand-dyed wool is enough to make me giddy. I always find something here to go home with! 


A diverse library of quilt books provides inspiration for all sorts of projects. Underneath are baskets filled with wool scraps.


Talk about creativity—Isn't this a clever way to display a wool appliqué design? I loved how they paired it with the antique mirror frame.


For fellow cat lovers—if you're lucky, you might catch a glimpse of Martha, the shop cat. Click on the name "Martha" to read more about her. She even has her own little bed and a fan club! Unfortunately, she wasn't there when we stopped by this time but I've been pleased to meet her acquaintance before!

And what shop project will I be working next? Here's a glimpse of the shop's sample. Now isn't that the perfect project for the owner of two black catboys?


I hope these photos have tempted you to stop by this one-of-a-kind quilt shop if you're ever in the Twin Cities area. It is located at 333 2nd Ave. West in Shakopee, MN. 

10 comments:

  1. Looks like my type of shop too. Shame I live the other side of the pond or I would pay a visit.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my most favorite quilt shops to visit as well! Always inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I said previously, you find the greatest shops.
    www.quiltsampler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I wish I could visit the shop! It looks wonderful and I love historic depots. Great use for a historic building. I need to see if the black cat pattern is on their website :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous shop! Everything is displayed so nicely. I know what you mean about going to a shop you want to buy everything in. I've been to three of those, and it's like what you'd have if you had a shop. You can never have enough wool, can you?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful shop!! I like the variety and it looks huge!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I would love to come visit this shop
    I can see why you love going there.
    ah yes I love reproduction fabrics too. thank you for taking us along on your shopping trips, especially quilt shops and antique stores.
    wish I was closer I would want to tag along!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh!!! Look at all of the WONDERFUL quilts and fabrics in that shop! How I wish I could be there in person ... sigh .... Thank you for the visual though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,
    I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading your lovely blog. Interesting writing and beautiful photos. And your dolls especially are exquisite!

    I've added your blog to my sidebar so I can return again & again. :) I'm also your newest follower. Thanks for sharing!

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kimber - We love when you visit! Thanks for the great photos. As you know, we love what we do and like to treat our customers like family. Thanks for all you do. Your owl is a real "HOOT"! Until next time....Lori & Becky

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!