Monday, October 11, 2010

INTRODUCING OLIVER THE OWL

As a child growing up just outside an Iowa state park, I would often hear the nocturnal symphony of owls while nestled in my bed. Ever since then, I've been intrigued by their hooting voices and inquisitive expressions. Being a night owl myself, I share an affinity for these captivating creatures. One of my newest pincushion designs—Oliver the Owl—was inspired by my love of owls. It is featured in the current issue of Fons & Porter’s Love of Quilting magazine (November/December 2010).



Oliver's pocket of “wool pennies” is designed to hold a pair of embroidery scissors or other sewing accoutrements. If you're looking for a fun gift idea for the holidays or anytime of year, I hope you'll check out my owl in the latest issue of the magazine. To celebrate Oliver’s debut, I will be offering a giveaway for a smaller owl pincushion on my blog starting November 15. So please check back for more details later.


SIDENOTE: If Lisa C happens to be reading this post, please email me with your phone number. I tried to reply to your email regarding my owl pincushion but my message pops back with a note saying that your mailbox is unavailable.

15 comments:

  1. Congats on your publication, your owls are so sweet, love the one with the little scissors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are the cutest little things... in fact decked out in all that pretty pink I think Olivia would be a perfect name.
    I also discovered that you were the gifted writer that did the piece on the African violets, inspiring me and I am waiting patiently for several to bloom in their pretty little vessels.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are absolutely adorable! I'll be watching my mailbox for this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!! I just love your owls!! Will definitely have to get this issue!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oliver is a hoot! Love him and will be out buying the magazine today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are the cutest. I too have always loved owls and their song since childhood.
    www.quiltsampler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your kinds words and support, everyone. It really makes my day to read such kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! They are so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great design! I must buy this issue of F&P for sure. Your owl is sooooo original. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your owl! I will definitely hunt out this issue of F&P for sure! BTW, can you recommend a good pair of pinking shears that will work with wool?

    ReplyDelete
  11. the owls are sweet and cuddly. it's great that they are featured in the magazine so that many people can enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh....the buttons are the perfect for the owl's eyes. Well done! See you on TDIPT Mercantile next month. By the way,can I talk you out of those nice owl scissors you found? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved making the owls. They are adorable, but where do you get the pink herringbone felt? We have checked several stores and can't get it. Thanks. My email is chudneo@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!