Tuesday, September 28, 2010

QUILT SHOP HOPPING IN NORTHEASTERN IOWA

After a stressful week, my husband and I were in desperate need of a little R&R. Thankfully, we already had a brief trip planned to the Cedar Falls/Waterloo area. As a quilter, I couldn't resist stopping at the area quilt shops while I was there. My husband was a good sport about it and happily took me to each one on my list. One of our favorite area stops is Lulijune’s Quilt Shop—a charming country quilt shop just outside Cedar Falls. 


It specializes in 1930s and Civil War era reproduction fabrics. Shop owner LeAnn Hughes always greets us warmly and makes us feel right at home. We've known LeAnn for six years now and always look forward to visiting her shop each year. She and I are a bit like kindred spirits as we both love 1800s repro fabrics, doll quilts, and cats! My husband and I look forward to seeing her many feline companions almost as much as we do her beautiful fabrics! As usual, we were greeted by her friendly kitties as we approached the shop door. 


This little girl was sunbathing beside a bench just outside the door. Isn't she cute? She was just a tiny little thing. I wish I could have taken her home with me but Teddy and Poe are quite spoiled and I don't think they'd know what to do with a new little sister. 


Inside the shop, you'll find lots of fabric reminiscent of times past, plus inspiring shop samples made by LeAnn. She loves to make little quilts and is quite efficient at it. She showed us many of her projects-in-progress and I was amazed by how many she is able to finish all the while managing her shop.


I loved this scrappy churn dash quilt on the ladder. To the right of it is a cupboard filled with quilting-related gifts and vintage finds for sale.


This wall is lined with 1800s reproduction quilt samples featuring pattern designers such as Jo Morton, Kathleen Tracy, and Tara Darr of Sew Unique Creations.


1930s reproduction prints and quilt samples make a cheerful statement in this corner of the shop. LeAnn likes to display fat quarters with the matching yardage, making it easy for customers to find pre-cut pieces of the fabrics that they like.


The little dress in this shot is a clothespin bag pattern by Darlene Zimmerman.


LeAnn displays her patterns on this picket fence accent. She carries patterns by designers such as Civil War Legacies, Quilts Remembered, and Sew Unique Creations.


LeAnn tries to choose patterns with easy-to-follow instructions like this "Crossroads to Freedom" pattern by designer Teresa Rose (who also made this quilt). She likes this particular pattern because the instructions are thorough and there's no shortage of helpful diagrams.


If you're ever in the Cedar Falls/Waterloo, Iowa, area, I hope you'll consider stopping by this fun little shop. If you do, say "hi" to LeAnn from me! Lulijune's is located at 14303 University Ave., Cedar Falls, IA. The shop is open Wednesday-Friday 10-5 and Saturday 10-4. You can contact the shop at 319/961-0705.

After a visit to Lulijune's, we traveled to nearby Independence, Iowa, to visit Quilter's Quarters. That's where I found these wool bundles (nearly the size of a fat quarter) for $3 each. They'll make great pincushions and penny rugs!


From there, our journey took us to Merry's Stitchins in Jesup, Iowa. This was another fun country quilt shop filled with inspiration and fabric. 


This display of Sandy Gervais fabrics in blues, oranges, and yellows with the colorful quilt sample hanging above it caught my eye. 


The shop also has a nice selection of wool and wool-related patterns like penny rugs, pincushions, wallhangings, and bags.


Loving pincushions as much as I do, I couldn't resist this adorable turtle. It will be on my list of projects-to-do this fall! Iowa winters are notoriously long, so it's the perfect opportunity to surround yourself with lots of cozy quilt and sewing projects.


As you can see, there's plenty of quilting territory in the Cedar Falls/Waterloo, Iowa area! Cedar Falls also has an another quilt shop called Crazy to Quilt Shop. I'll be sharing more pics of past visits to Cedar Falls in future posts, including a visit to a historical house and an antique doll exhibit.

6 comments:

  1. Enjoyed all the pictures, except it just makes me want to jump in the car and shop hop as well. Looking forward to the antique doll exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun shop hop! Thank you for sharing the wonderful photos. Love the cute shop kitties also :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you for sharing. I believe I will have to make several detours when I go back home to Iowa to visit family! The shops are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for commenting on my blog quiltsampler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun trip. I just love that Crossroads to Freedom quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!