Thursday, September 2, 2010

QUILT GUILD AUCTION PROJECT AND SOME FUN FINDS

Each summer, my local quilt guild hosts a charity auction to raise funds for breast cancer research. Members donate all the items ranging from fat quarters and fabric to finished quilt blocks and quilts. This year, the 1800s quilt study group that I belong to donated a basket of 1800s reproduction pink-and-brown blocks made by members. We were so happy to find out later that our donation brought $210! Here are some of the blocks we made:


Just before the auction, there is a merchandise mall where members can donate their smaller-ticket items, such as notions, fabrics, books, and magazines. There are even some quilt tops and quilts. Everything is priced to sell and I usually find at least a few things I can't resist. This year was no exception. I spent a grand total of $25 on these fun finds (I won't bother showing everything I found but these are the highlights):

This 1930s quilt was just $10. It is not in the best condition (the back is quite fragile and the mismatched green binding sort of clashes with the green in the rest of the quilt) but its cheerful design spoke to me. I thought it might look nice draped over my old cedar chest in my upstairs hallway.


Aren't these lighthearted fabrics in the fan designs delightful? Some are damaged but the overall impact of the quilt is still quite wonderful.


Most of the books were just $1 or $2 each! One of my favorite finds was this endearing small book, Cloth & Comfort: Pieces of Women's Lives from Their Quilts and Diaries by Roderick Kiracofe. It was in like-new condition.


The interior is filled with lovely glimpses of antique quilts like this one as well as fun vintage graphics, quilters' diary excerpts, and quilt-related quotes.


I picked up these two books filled with fun 1800s and 1930s reproduction quilt patterns by Fons & Porter. Their company is based in Winterset, Iowa (home to the famous bridges of Madison county)--not far from where I live.


I love the Need'l Love Threads book series and have quite a few of them. I didn't happen to have this one, though, and since I love Halloween, I had to get it.


There were tons of quilt magazines to be had. I'm trying to clean out my own stash of them, so I was hesitant to buy more, but these Quiltmania and PieceWork issues called to me...


Gail Wilson makes the neatest doll accessory kits. At just a $1 each, these kits for a doll-sized quilt, quilt rack, and sewing accessories were just too good to pass up.


Quilt patterns were just 25 cents each. One of my favorite pattern designers is Sew Unique Creations, so I was delighted to happen upon these 1800s reproduction quilt block patterns. The mini tumbler template was also only 25 cents--a real bargain at that!


I'm always on the lookout for vintage wooden spools, so this box of treasure (filled with some 60 spools) was a real find. They even still had the thread on them!


I picked up a set of 6 star quilt blocks and a quilt remnant for a song. I don't think I'll ever make a quilt with them--I just enjoy looking at the charming fabrics that they used!


I hope you enjoyed this little show-and-tell of my quilt-related finds. It's always a fun adventure sifting through other quilters' cast-offs. You just never know what you might find!

3 comments:

  1. What a great number of finds. You are so lucky to have such an auction. I know what you mean when things "call out" to you. It happens to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You scored, girl! Need'l love is one of my favorites. Do you have Falloween? The best for those of us who love all things Fall and Halloweeny. Your antique quilt looks good from the front. And those spools are to die for. Have to ask my Mom if she has any of my grandmother's around any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With those prices, you really couldn't afford NOT to stock up! So many great finds....and potential inspiration! :) (At least that's what I tell myself with I buy more frames and art supplies!)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!