Tuesday, September 21, 2010

OF CATS AND QUILTS

What is it about cats and quilts that seem to attract each other? Every time I bring a new quilt home, my curious companions Poe and Teddy can’t resist checking it out. Can you see Poe surrounded by my collection of bears and bunnies in this photo? He made himself at home on top of an old Dresden plate quilt. The 1930s quilt hanging above was a gift from my mother-in-law 10 years ago and is made of hexagons. The little vintage cupboard was found at an antiques shop in Marion, Iowa, several years ago and makes a charming display for some of my small teacups and saucers.


I've been collecting vintage doll beds for several years and set this one up to take a shot of one of my papier mache dolls on earlier this spring. Before I knew it, Poe had decided to take a cat nap on it. Believe it or not, he had only been there for a few minutes when I took this photo. But it looks as though he’s been there all afternoon!


When I bring a new quilt home, I like to take a photo of it for my records. My husband gave me this cheerful 1940s basket quilt for Christmas last year. Just as I was getting ready to snap the photo, Poe decided to investigate it.


While trying to decide where to display this 1930s yo-yo quilt, I draped it over one of my sofas. Teddy and Poe both instantly took to it. Don’t they look cute nestled among its pastel colors? I wish my little black catboys photographed more clearly so you could see their features better; they really are darling creatures.

9 comments:

  1. How funny the cat in the doll bed. Dogs are the same, I don't have design wall so the floor has to do, as soon as I lay a quilt down Mery is there. Just trying it for comfort I guess. I think I may come back as a cat or dog, but to a quilt lover of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cats are too funny. I love how Poe has to be in every photo. I especially like Poe in the doll bed. He looks like he wishes it were a bit bigger. My cats do the same thing with quilts; there must be an instinctive connection between cats and cotton fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful collection of antique quilts. And Poe on the doll bed is too cute. My favorite though is the basket quilt. Not only is it beautiful, but I love that it was a gift from your husband. The man knows the way to your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are adorable. My cat races in the room everytime I lay out a quilt or blocks. Who knows what the motivation is. Love the basket quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cats certainly have good taste! I just love seeing all your vintage quilts -- inspires me to go make a few more yo-yo's for a quilt I've been working on for a few years (it takes a gazillion of those things to make a quilt!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful, humorous posting.

    The quilts are exquisite and your cats hilarious....they really know how to enjoy all. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Besides your beautiful collections, I love your little guys in the pictures!! How cute of him resting on the doll bed!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great collection of antique quilts.I love the blue baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cat in the doll bed is precious. Mine are the same way, they love doll furniture. I have a friend that says fabric on the floor is cat fabric.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!